Influence of Nordic Walking training on static and dynamic body balance among the elderly
Treść / Zawartość
Background: The research aimed to determine motor skills that significantly affect the level of technical preparation in dancesport at the early stage of training. The applicable purpose was to determine the selection indicators in dancesport at the stage of initial training. Material/Methods: The study involved 50 dancesport contestants aged 6-9 years. The tests were carried out 3 times, at the beginning, after a year and after two years of training. Motor skills were assessed by means of: the Starosta’s test, a stabilographic platform, the IPTF trial, a trial testing the frequency of moves, a measurement of explosive strength of the lower limbs, ergometric measuring equipment “Concept 2 Dyno”, a test of simple reaction speed and of anticipation in space. Special fitness was determined on the basis of results of special fitness tests and standard anthropometric measurements were made by means of Martin’s method. A factor analysis was made of all the measurements; the correlation matrix was calculated with probability at p ≤ 0.05. Independent variables were confronted with the special fitness test results presented by the studied dancers. The multiple regression method was used, and for analysis the special fitness test result of 3 dance tournaments immediately after the 1st, 2nd and 3rd stage of laboratory tests and the results of these tests were taken. Results: The result of the special fitness test at the 1st stage of research is explained by multiple regression with independent variables in 66%, at the 2nd stage of research in 87%, and at the 3rd stage of research in 81%. The highest level of regression was reported at the 1st stage of research for the variable both legs coordination and at the 3rd stage of research for the variables balance and chené turns. Conclusions: 1. At the early stage of practicing dancesport, the greatest impact on the special fitness is exerted by: motor coordination, balance, flexibility, speed and strength skills, the body height and mass, the pelvis, torso, and chest indicators, and BMI. 2. The tests and indices applied in the research best reflect the specificity of dancesport and they can be recommended in the selection process for this sport discipline.
-  Struktura ludnosci. Polska 1975-2030 [Structure of the population. Poland 1975-2030]. GUS, http://www.stat.gov.pl/PI_gus/ludnosc_ piramida/start.htm, accessed on 10.09.2013. Polish.
-  Szpringer M, Wybraniec-Lewicka B, Czerwiak G, Michalowska M, Krawczynska J. Upadki i urazy wieku geriatrycznego [Falls and injuries in geriatric age]. Studia Medyczne. 2008;9:77-81. Polish.
-  Karlsson MK, Vonschewelov T, Karlsson C, Cöster M, Rosengen BE. Prevention of falls in the elderly: A review. Scand J Public Health July 2013; 41:442-454.
-  Ossowski Z, Kortas J. Wstepne badania nad wplywem rekreacyjnego treningu Nordic Walking na poziom zwinnosci i rownowagi u kobiet w wieku 60-69 lat [Preliminary research on the influence of Nor-dic Walking training on the level of agility and body balance in women aged 60-69 years]. Logistyka. 2012;3:1783- 1789. Polish.
-  Ossowski Z, Cesnaitiene VJ. Influence of Nordic Walking training on physical endurance in elderly women. In: Current issues and new ideas in sport science: 5th Baltic Sport Science Conference, Kaunas, Lithuania, 18-19 April 2012:154.
-  Mikalacki M, Cokorilo N, Katic R. Effect of Nordic Walking on functional ability and blood pressure in elderly women. Coll Antropol. 2011;35(3):889-94.
-  Figard-Fabre H, Fabre N, Leonardi A, Schena F. Efficacy of Nordic walking in obesity management. Int J Sports Med. 2011;32(6):407-14.
-  Fritz B, Rombach S, Godau J, Berg D, Horstmann T, Grau S. The influence of Nordic Walking training on sit-to-stand transfer in Parkinson patients. Gait Posture. 2011;34(2):234-8.
-  World Health Organization WHO. A Global Report on Falls Prevention Epidemiology of Falls, 2007.
-  Przydatek M, Wielkie problemy geriatryczne: Upadki [Falls as serious geriatric problems]. Medycyna Rodzinna. 2001;13/2. Polish.
-  Scuffham P, Chaplin S, Legood R., Incidence and costs of unintentional falls in older people in the United Kingdom. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2003;57(9):740-744.
-  Rubenstein LZ. Falls in older people: epidemiology, risk factors and strategies for prevention. Age and Ageing 2006; 35-S2, 37–41.
-  Stevens JA, Corso PS, Finkelstein EA, Miller TR. The cost of fatal and nonfatal falls among older adults. Inj Prev. 2006;12(5):290-29.
-  Scuffham P, Chaplin S, Legood R, Incidence and costs of unintentional falls In older people in the United Kingdom. Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2003;57(9):740-744.
-  Rikli RE, Jones CJ. Senior Fitness Test Manual. Champaign, Ill.: Human Kinetics; 2001.
-  Jegier A, Kozdron E. Metody oceny sprawnosci i wydolnosci fizycznej czlowieka [Rating methods for fitness and physical capacity of a human being]. Warszawa: TKKF; 1997. Polish.
-  Wolański N. Rozwoj biologiczny czlowieka. Podstawy auksologii, gerontologii i promocji zdrowia [Bio-logical development of a human. Basics of auxology, gerontology and health promotion]. Warszawa: PWN; 2005. Polish.
-  Province MA, Hadley EC, Hornbrook MC, et al. The effects of exercise on falls in elderly patients. A preplanned meta-analysis of the FICSIT trials. JAMA. 1995;273:1341-1347.
-  Madureira MM, Takayama L, Gallinaro AL, Caparbo VF, Costa RA, Pereira RMR. Balance training program is highly effective in improving functional status and reducing the risk of falls in elderly women with osteoporosis: a randomized controlled trial. Osteoporos Int. 2007;18(4):419-425.
-  Gillespie LD, Gillespie WJ, Robertson MC, Lamb SE, Cumming RG, Rowe BH. Interventions for preventing falls in elderly people (Cochrane Review). Cochrane Library 2003, Issue 4. Oxford: Updated Software.
-  Chang JT, Morton SC, Rubenstein LZ, et al. Interventions for the prevention of falls in older adults: Systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. BMJ. 2004;328:680-683.
-  Gardner MM, Robertson MC, Campbell AJ. Exercise in preventing falls and fall related injuries in older people: A review of randomised controlled trials.Br J Sports Med. 2000;34:7-17.
-  Ossowski Z, Prusik K, Kortas J, Wiech M, Prusik K, Slomska H, Bielawa L. Zmiany poziomu siły konczyn gornych i dolnych pod wplywem treningu Nordic Walking u kobiet w starszym wieku [Changes in the level of strength of upper and lower limbs under Nordic walking training in elderly women]. Rocznik Naukowy AWFiS Gdansk. 2010;20:71-78. Polish.
-  Wiacek M, Hagner W, Hagner-Derengowska M, et al. Correlations between postural stability and strength of lower body extremities of women population living in long-term care facilities. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2009;48(3):346-349.
-  Wolfson L, Whipple R, Derby CA, et al. dynamic posturography study oh balance in healthy elderly. Neurology. 1992;42:2069.
-  Gehlsen G, Mitchell HW. Falls in the frail elderly: part II, balance, strength and flexibility. Arch Phys Med Rehab. 1990;71:739-741.
-  Fried AV, Cwikel J, Ring H, Galinsky D. EL-GAM-extra-laboratory gait assessment method: identification of risk factor for falls among the elderly at home. Int Disabil Studies. 1990;12(4):161-164.
-  Zak M. Wplyw fizjoterapii na rownowagę i chod osob w starszym wieku [The influence of physiotherapy on balance and gait in the elderly]. Fizjoterapia. 2005;13/4:17-23. Polish.
-  Wiech M, Prusik K, Prusik K, Ossowski Z, Kortas J, Slomska H. Zmiany wybranych pozytywnych miernikow zdrowia u seniorow pod wplywem treningu Nordic Walking [Changes in selected positive health indicators of seniors resulting from Nordic walking]. In: Luczak J, Bronowicki S, eds. Zdrowotne aspekty aktywnosci fizycznej. Poznan: Wielkopolska Wyzsza Szkola Turystyki i Zarzadzania; 2010, 323-329. Polish.
-  Piech K, Raczynska B. Nordic Walking – Wszechstronna aktywnosc fizyczna [Nordic Walking – A comprehensive physical activity]. Pol J Sport Tourism. 2010;17:69-78. Polish.
-  Sokeliene V, Cesnaitiene VJ. The influence of Nordic Walking on physical fitness of elderly people. Education Physical Training Sport. Lithuanian Academy of Physical Education. 2011;3(82):45-51.