An Economic Comparison of Pesticide Applications for Processing and Table Tomatoes: A Case Study for Turkey
Treść / Zawartość
In many circumstances, pesticides are the only effective means of controlling disease organisms, weeds, or insect pests. Yet, pesticides are toxic and potentially hazardous to humans, other animals and organisms, and the environment. Therefore, people who use pesticides or regularly come in contact with them must understand the relative toxicity, potential health effects, and preventative measures to reduce the exposure to the products they use. Today, farm-level costs include the costs of the pesticides, and their application. This study was conducted to analyse the farm-level economics of pesticide use on the processing and table tomato growing in selected regions of Turkey. Data was collected from 59 processing tomato farmers and 30 table tomato farmers. These farmers were willing to have their data recorded. According to the results of the study, the average usage concerning the active ingredient of pesticides for the processing and table tomatoes were 4,825.02 and 5,273.86 g/ha. Average pesticide and pesticide application costs of the processing and table tomatoes were determined to be $445/ha and $502/ha, respectively. The breakeven yields for the processing and table tomatoes were calculated to be 3,708 and 3,138 kg/ha, repectively.
- Adeniyi O.R. 2011. Economic aspects of intercropping systems of vegetables (okra, tomato and cowpea). Afr. J. Agric. Res. 5 (11): 648-655.
- Akgüngör S., Miran B., Abay C. 1999. Consumer willingness to pay for reduced pesticide residues in tomatoes: the Turkish case. Am. J. Agric. Econ. 81 (5): 1312-1317.
- Alimi T., Ayanwale A.B. 2004. Economic impacts of chemical pesticides use on fadama crop farming in Sudano-Sahelian zone. J. Social Sci. 9 (3): 149-155.
- Anonymous. 2002. Crop Protection Handbook. Publications of Directorate of Izmir, Turkish Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Animal Husbandry, No. 352. Izmir, 536 pp.
- Anonymous. 2008. Field Guide Exercises for IPM in Tomatoes. Part II, Vietnam IPM National Programme, FAO - IPM Hanoi Plant Protection Department, MARD, 32 pp.
- Anonymous. 2011. Control of Tomato Pests and Diseases. Publication of General Directorate of Food and Control, Turkish Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Animal Husbandry, Ankara, 68 pp.
- Bauske E.M., Zehnder G.M., Sikora E.J., Kemble J. 1998. Southeastern tomato growers adopt Integrated Pest Management. Hortechnology 8 (1): 40-44.
- Bloem S., Mizell R.F. 2004. Tomato IPM in Florida. Florida Cooperative Extension Service, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida, 23 pp.
- Cetin B., Vardar A. 2008. An economic analysis of energy requirements and input costs for tomato production in Turkey. Renewable Energy 33 (2008): 428-433.
- Clark M.S., Herris H., Klonsky K., Lanini W.T., Bruggen A.H.C., Zalom F.G. 1998. Agronomic, economic and environmental comparison of pest management in conventional and alternative tomato and corn systems in northern California. Agric. Ecosystems Environ. 68: 51-71.
- Demirci F., Erdogan C., Tatlidil F.F. 2005. Plant protection practices in tomato plantations in Ayas and Nallihan provinces of Ankara. J. Agric. Sci. 11 (4): 422-427.
- Engindeniz S. 2006. Economic analysis of pesticide use on processing tomato growing: a case study for Turkey. Crop Prot. 25 (6): 534-541.
- Engindeniz S., Engindeniz D. 2006. Economic analysis of pesticide use on greenhouse cucumber growing: a case study for Turkey. J. Plant Dis. Prot. 113 (5): 193-198.
- Engindeniz S. 2007. Economic analysis of processing tomato growing: the case study of Torbali, west Turkey. Spanish J. Agric. Res. 5 (1): 7-15.
- Engindeniz S. 2008. Economic analysis of agrochemical use for weed control in field-grown celery: a case study for Turkey. Crop Prot. 27 (3-5): 377-384.
- Esengun K., Erdal G., Gunduz O., Erdal H. 2007. An economic analysis and energy use in stake-tomato production in Tokat province of Turkey. Renewable Energy 32: 1873-1881.
- Gleason M.L., Edmunds B.A. 2006. Tomato Diseases and Disorders. Publication of Iowa State University Extension Office, PM 1266, Iowa, 12 pp.
- Greaser G.L., Harper J.K. 1994. Enterprise Budget Analysis. Agricultural Alternatives, The Pennsylvania State University, College of Agricultural Sciences, Cooperative Extension, 4 pp.
- Hayirlioglu A.E. 2007. The Economics and Environmental Analysis of Pesticide Use in Tomato Production in Konya, Turkey. MSc thesis, Selcuk University Graduate School of Natural and Applied Sciences Department of Agricultural Economics, Konya-Turkey, 90 pp.
- Hosamani U.K. 2009. Economic Consequence of Pesticides Use in Paddy Koppal District, Karnataka. MSc thesis, Department of Agricultural Economics College of Agriculture, Dharwad Unıversity of Agricultural Sciences, 63 pp.
- Janssen C., Smith S., Foster R., Latin R., Weller S., Whitford F. 1999. Pest Control in Tomatoes for Processing. Purdue University Cooperative Extension Service, West Lafayette, 19 pp.
- Karaca C., Turabi M., Bedir C., Akyazı H., Keles R., Bahce U., Ozer O., Algan N., Ocalan G., Karatas P., Sahin M., Dursun N., Altunoglu C., Ocak Y. 2009. Licenced Crop Protection Products. Turkish Ministry of Food, Agriculture, and Animal Husbandry, General Directorate of Food and Control, Ankara, 402 pp.
- Karsavuran Y., Cetin M. 2002. Studies on the economic threshold level for Helicoverpa rmigera (Hubner) (Lepidoptera: Noctuidae) on the processing tomato. Turkish J. Entomol. 26 (1): 63-80.
- Kiral T., Kasnakoglu H., Tatlidil F., Fidan H., Gundogmus E. 1999. Database Guide and Income and Cost Calculation Methodologie for Agricultural Products (Turkish). Publications of Agricultural Economics Research Institute, No. 37, Ankara-Turkey, 133 pp.
- Koc A., Tanrivermis H., Budak F., Gundogmus E., Inan I.H., Kubas A., Ozkan B. 2001. Pesticide Use in Turkish Agriculture: Ineffectiveness, Problems, and Impacts of Alternative Organizations. Publications of Agricultural Economics Research Institute, No. 64, Ankara, Turkey, 316 pp.
- Lange W.H., Bronson L. 1981. Insect pests of tomatoes. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 26: 345-371.
- Moghaddam P.R., Feizi H., Monda F. 2011. Evaluation of tomato production systems in terms of energy use efficiency and economical analysis in Iran. Notulae Scientia Biologicae 3 (4): 58-65.
- Mulayim Z.G. 2001. Agricultural Valuation and Expertise (Turkish). Second ed. Publications of Yetkin, Ankara, 367 pp.
- Nault B.A., Speese J. 2002. Major insect pests and economics of fresh-market tomato in eastern Virginia. Crop Prot. 21 (5): 359-366.
- Newbold P. 1995. Statistics for Business and Economics. Prentice- Hall, New Jersey, London, 867 pp.
- Robinson E.J., Kolavalli S.L. 2010. The Case of Tomato in Ghana: Productivity. International Food Policy Research Institute, Ghana Strategy Support Program Working, Paper No. 19, Ghana, 20 pp.
- Savidov N. 2004. Commercial Greenhouse Tomato Production: Pest and Disease Management. Government of Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development, Canada, 15 pp.
- Tanrivermis H. 2000. Economic Analysis of Pesticide Use on Tomoto Growing in Middle Sakarya River Basin. Publications of Agricultural Economics Research Institute, No. 42, Ankara-Turkey, 118 pp.
- Tatlidil F., Kiral T., Gundogmus E., Fidan H., Akturk D. 2005. The effect of crop losses during pre-harvest and harvest periods on production costs in tomato production in the Ayas and Nallihan districts of Ankara province. Turkish J. Agric. Forestry 29: 499-509.
- Taylor R.A.J., Shalhevet S., Spharim I., Berlinger M.J., Mordechi S.L. 2001. Economic evaluation of insect-proof screens for preventing tomato yellow leaf curl virus of tomatoes in Israel. Crop Prot. 20: 561-569.
- Trumble J.T., Carson W.G., White K.K. 1992. Economic analysis of a Bacillus thuringiensis - based integrated pest management program in fresh-market tomatoes. J. Econ. Entomol. 87 (6): 1463-1469.
- Turhan S., Özbag B.C., Rehber E. 2008. A comparison of energy use in organic and conventional tomato production. J. Food Agric. Environ. 6 (3-4): 318-321.
- Yardim E.N., Edwards C.A. 2003. An economic comparison of pesticide application regimes for processing tomatoes. Phytoparasitica 31 (1): 51-60.
- Walgenbach J.F., Estes E.A. 1992. Economics of insecticide use on staked tomatoes in western north Carolina. J. Econ. Entomol. 85 (3): 888-894.
rekord w opracowaniu