Acid-base balance parameters and a value of anion gap of arterial and venous blood in Malopolski horses
Treść / Zawartość
The comparative study of the acid-base balance (ABB) parameters has been performed on 20 clinically healthy mature Małopolski horses. An arterial blood sample from the facial artery and a sample of venous blood from the external cervical vein were colected from each animal. In the samples tested, the blood pH, pCO₂, tCO₂, HCO₃-, concentration of Na+, K+, Cl-, and a value of the anion gap were determined. The difference among pCO₂, tCO₂, and HCO₃ - in both samples tested was statistically significant, whereas the pH of the arterial blood and the pH of the venous blood did not differ significantly. The anion gap in both types of blood did not differ significantly. Conclusions: 1) ABB parameters such as pCO₂, HCO₃-, and tCO₂ determined in the arterial and venous blood of the Małopolski horses differ from each other significantly. 2) In spite of the lack of the differences between pH of the arterial and venous blood, the ABB parameters in horses should be determined in the arterial blood, because the comparative study performed proves that the analysis of the ABB parameters determined for the venous blood of a healthy horse may lead to a wrong diagnosis of the compensated respiratory acidosis. 3) The mean value of anion gap in horses aged 8-12 years amounts to 20.9 mmol/l for the arterial blood and 19.93 for the venous blood; the difference between the two values is not statistically significant.
- Aguilera-Tejero E, Estepa JC, López I, Bas S, Mayer-Valor R, Rodrı´guez M (2000) Quantitative analysis of acid-base balance in show jumpers before and after exercise. Res Vet Sci 68: 103-108.
- Bayly WM, Kingston JK, Brown JA, Keegan RD, Greene SA, Sides RH (2006) Changes in arterial, mixed venous and intraerythrocytic concentrations of ions in supramaximally exercising horses. Equine Vet J Suppl 36: 294-297.
- Bedenice D, Heuwieser W, Solano M, Rand W, Paradis MR (2003) Risk factors and prognostic variables for survival of foals with radiographic evidence of pulmonary disease J Vet Intern Med 17: 868-875
- Brechue WF, Stainsby WN (1994) Lactate and acid-base exchange during brief intense contractions of skeletal muscle in situ. J Appl Physiol 77: 223-230.
- Bristol DG (1982) The anion gap as a prognostic indicator in horses with abdominal pain. J Am Vet Med Assoc 181: 63-65
- Brobst D (1975) Evaluation of clinical disorders of acid-base balance. J Am Vet Med Assoc 166: 359-364.
- Constable PD, Hinchcliff KW, Muir WW 3rd (1998) Comparison of anion gap and strong ion gap as predictors of unmeasured strong ion concentration in plasma and serum from horses. Am J Vet Res 59: 881-887.
- Connysson M, Muhonen S, Lindberg JE, Essen-Gustavsson B, Nyman G, Nostell K, Jansson A (2006) Effects on exercise response, fluid and acid-base balance of protein intake from forage-only diets in standardbred horses. Equine Vet J Suppl 36: 648-653.
- Di Bartola SP (2006) Introduction to acid-base disorders In: Di Bartola SP (ed) Fluid, electrolyte and acid base disorders in small animal practice. Saunders Elsevier, St Louis, pp 240-243.
- Fenger CK, McKeever KH, Hinchcliff KW, Kohn CW (2000) Determinants of oxygen delivery and hemoglobin saturation during incremental exercise in horses. Am J Vet Res 61: 1325-1332.
- Ferrante PL, Kronfeld DS, Taylor LE, Meacham TN (1994) Plasma [H+] responses to exercise in horses fed a high-fat diet and given sodium bicarbonate. J Nutr 124: 2736S-2737S
- Freestone JF, Carlson GP, Harrold DR, Church G (1989) Furosemide and sodium bicarbonate-induced alkalosis in the horse and response to oral KCl or NaCl therapy. Am J Vet Res 50: 1334-1339.
- Foreman JH, Grubb TL, Benson GJ, Frey LP, Foglia RA, Griffin RL (1996) Acid-base and electrolyte effects of shortening steeplechase in a three-day-event. Equine Vet J Suppl 22: 85-90.
- Greene HM, Wickler SJ, Anderson TP, Cogger EA, Lewis CC, Wyle A (1999) High-altitude effects on respiratory gases, acid-base balance and pulmonary artery pressures in equids. Equine Vet J Suppl 30: 71-76.
- Gossett KA, French DD (1983) Effect of age on anion gap in clinically normal Quarter Horses. Am J Vet Res 44: 1744-1745
- Gossett KA, Cleghorn B, Martin GS, Church GE (1987) Correlation between anion gap, blood L lactate concentration and survival in horses. Equine Vet J 19: 29-30
- Harvey JW, Pate MG, Kivipelto J, Asquith RL (2005) Clinical biochemistry of pregnant and nursing mares. Vet Clin Pathol 34: 248-254.
- Haskins SC (1977a) An overview of acid-base physiology. J Am Vet Med Assoc 170: 423-428.
- Haskins SC (1977b) Sampling and storage of blood for pH and blood gas analysis. J Am Vet Med Assoc 170: 429-433.
- Hoffman AM, Staempfli HR, Willan A (1992) Prognostic variables for survival of neonatal foals under intensive care. J Vet Intern Med 6: 89-95.
- Looney AL, Ludders J, Erb HN, Gleed R, Moon P (1998) Use of a handheld device for analysis of blood electrolyte concentrations and blood gas partial pressures in dogs and horses. J Am Vet Med Assoc 213: 526-530.
- Matthews NS, Miller SM, Hartsfield SM, Slater MR (1992) Comparison of recoveries from halothane vs isoflurane anesthesia in horses. J Am Vet Med Assoc 201: 559-563.
- Nolte I, Sandmann H, Failing K, Huby H, Tellhelm B, Bonath K (1982) Suitability of capillary and venous blood for blood gas and acid-base status in nonsedated and anesthesized horses. Zentralbl Veterinarmed A 29: 185-196.
- Rivas LJ, Hinchcliff KW, Kohn CW, Sams RA, Chew DJ (1997) Effect of sodium bicarbonate administration on blood constituents of horses. Am J Vet Res 58: 658-663.
- Saulez MN, Gummow B, Slovis NM, Byars TD, Frazer M, MacGillivray K, Bain FT (2007) Admission clinicopathological data, length of stay, cost and mortality in an equine neonatal intensive care unit. J S Afr Vet Assoc 78: 153-157
- Shull RM (1978) The value of anion gap and osmolal gap determination in veterinary medicine. Vet Clin Pathol 7: 12-14.
- Sławuta P, Nicpoń J, Kozdrowski R, Noszczyk-Nowak A (2007) Parameters of acid-base equilibrium in course of Bovine Respiratory Disease Complex in three-week-old calves. Med Weter 63: 963-966.
- Stainsby WN, Eitzman PD (1988) Roles of CO2, O2, and acid in arteriovenous [H+] difference during muscle contractions. J Appl Physiol 65: 1803-1810.
- Taylor LE, Ferrante PL, Kronfeld DS, Meacham TN (1995) Acid-base variables during incremental exercise in sprint-trained horses fed a high-fat diet. J Anim Sci 73: 2009-2018.
- Waller A, Lindinger MI (2007) The effect of oral sodium acetate administration on plasma acetate concentration and acid-base state in horses. Acta Vet Scand 49: 38.
- Zeyner A, Kirbach H, Furll M (2002) Effects of substituting starch with fat on the acid-base and mineral status of female horses. Equine Vet J Suppl 85-91