Antiquorum from freshwater zoosporic isolated fungi: maximization of some ameliorative factors
Treść / Zawartość
Many bacteria detect their critical cell numbers through a mechanism known as quorum sensing (QS). Acyl homoserine lactones (AHLs) mediated QS systems have been shown to operate in important human pathogens. The aim of this study was to evaluate the inhibitory effect generated by zoosporic freshwater fungi on AHLs production. A potent strain of zoosporic fungi, Leptolegniella keratinophilum, was isolated after extended screening study. A new cheap medium was used to support the anti-AHLs activities. Statistical strategy depending on two levels factorial model and three levels quadratic model were applied to guide a production maximization process. The three levels Box-Behnken model possessed the ability to optimize the significant nutritional and cultural conditions and to predict the maximum that can be achieved. In the course of study, we reached 88% anti-AHLs activity, while the initial activity was 63%. There was no previous maximization methodology for either the experimental medium, or the fungi. The results suggest that freshwater zoosporic fungi can be potentially used against bacterial infections.
- Ahmer B.M. 2004. Cell-to-cell signalling in Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica. Mol. Microbiol. 52 (4): 933–945.
- Antony. J. 2003. Design of experiments for engineers and scientists, Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, Burlinton, MA.
- Bhardwaj K.A., K. Vinothkumar and N. Rajpara. 2013. Bacterial quorum sensing inhibitors: attractive alternatives for control of infectious pathogens showing multiple drug resistance. Recent Patents on Anti-Infective Drug Discovery, vol. 8, no.1, pp. 68–83.
- Barr D.J.S. 1973. Six – Rhizophydium species (Chytrdiales) in culture. Can. J. Bot. 51: 967–975.
- Barr D.J.S. 1975. Morphology and Zoospore discharge in single pored, epibiotic Chytridiales. Can. J. Bot. 53: 164–178.
- Barr D.J.S. 1980. An outline for the reclassification of the Chytridiales, and for a new order, the Spizellomycetales. Canadian Journal Botany, 58: 2380–2394.
- Blosser R.S. and K.M. Gray. 2000. .Extraction of violacein from Chromobacterium violaceum provides a new quantitative bioassay for N-acyl homoserine lactone autoinducers. J. Microbiol. Methods. 40 (1): 47–55.
- Booth T. and P. Barrett. 1971. Occurrence and distribution of Zoosporic fungi from Devon Island. Canadian Eastern Arctic Can. J. Bot. 49: 359–369.
- Brackman G.P. Cos, L. Maes, H. Nelis and T. Coenye. 2011. Quorum sensing inhibitors increase the susceptibility of bacterial biofilms to antibiotics in vitro and in vivo. Antimicrob. Agents. Chemother. 55: 2655–2661.
- Box G.E.P. and D.W. Behnken. 1960. Some new three level designs for the study of quantitative variables. Technometrics 2: 455–475.
- Canter H.M. and C.T. Ingold. 1984. Achytrid on Dacrymyces Trans. Br. Mycol. Soc. 82(4): 739–742.
- Chang C.Y., C.L. Koh, C.K. Sam, X. Y. Chan, W.F. Yin and K.G. Chan. 2012. Unusual long-chain N-acyl homoserine lactone production by and presence of quorum quenching activity in bacterial isolates from diseased tilapia fish. PLoS One. 7, e44034.
- Choo J.H., Y. Rukayadi and V.H. Wang. 2006. Inhibition of bacterial quorum sensing by vanilla extract. Lett. Appl. Microbiology 42 (6): 637–641.
- Costerton J.W., S.P. Stewart and P.E. Greenberg. 1999. Bacterial biofilms: a common cause of persistent infections. Science 284: 1318–1322.
- Czeczuga B., M. Orlowska and I. Woronowicz. 1997. Fungi in water reservoirs of the Western Suwalki Lake district and in some adjacent basins. Roczniki Akademii Medycznej w Białymstoku 42(1): 41–61).
- Defoirdt T, N. Boon, P. Dossier and W. Verstraete. 2004. Disruption of bacterial quorum sensing: an unexplored strategy to fight infections in aquaculture. Aquaculture. 27, 240 (1–4): 69–88.
- Diéguez-Uribeondo J., L. Cerenius and K. Söderhall. 1994. Saprolegnia parasitica and its virulence on three different species of freshwater crayfish. Aquaculture 120 (3–4): 219–228.
- Dong Y., L. Wang and V. Zhang. 2007. Quorum-quenching microbial infections: mechanisms and implications. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B, 362, 1483: 1201–1211.
- Fuller M.S. and A. Jaworski. 1987. Zoosporic fungi in teaching and research, Southeastern Publishing Corp, USA.
- Gobbetti M., M. De Angelis, R. Di Cagno, F. Minervini and A. Limitone. 2007. Cell-cell communication in food related bacteria. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 30: 120 :(1–2): 34–45.
- Hentzer M. and M. Givskov. 2003. Pharmacological inhibition of quorum sensing for the treatment of chronic bacterial infections. J. Clin. Invest. 1; 112 (9): 1300–1307.
- Jesús T., I.V. Olivero, P. Nerlis, C. Pájaro and S. Elena. 2011. Antiquorum sensing activity of essential oils isolated from different species of the genus piper. Vitae, Revista De La Facultad De Química Farmacéutica 18: 77–82.
- Jiao P. 2006. Chemical investigations of freshwater and fungicolous fungi. Ph.D. thesis. The University of Iowa, USA.
- Karling J.S. 1968. Some Zoosporic fungi of New Zealand. XII. Olpidiopsidaceae, Siropidiacece and Lagenidiales. Sydowia 20: 190–199.
- Karling J.S. 1977. Chytridiomycetarum Iconographia: an illustrated and brief descriptive guide to Chytridomycetous genera with a supplement of the Hyphochytriomycetes. Vaduz: J. Cramer. FL-9490 Germany, pp. 414–419.
- Li Y., F. Cui, Z. Liu, Y. Xu and H. Zhao. 2007 Improvement of xylanase production by Penicillium oxalicum ZH-30 using response surface methodology. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 40: 1381–1388.
- McClean H.K., M.K. Winson and L. Fish et al. 1997. Quorum sensing and Chromobacterium violaceum: exploitation of violacein production and inhibition for the detection of N-acylhomoserine lactones. Microbiology, vol. 143, part 12, pp. 3703–3711.
- Min H.K., K. Hatai and S. Bai. 1994. Some inhibitory effects of chitosan on fish-pathogenic oomycete, Saprolegnia parasitica. Fish pathology 29(2), 73–77.
- Rajesh S.P. and R.V. Rai. 2014. Quorum quenching activity in cell-free lysate of endophytic bacteria isolated from Pterocarpus santalinus Linn., and its effect on quorum sensing regulated biofilm in Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. Microbiological Research, 169(7–8): 561–569.
- Rasmussen B.T. and M. Givskov. 2006. Quorum-sensing inhibitors as anti-pathogenic drugs, International Journal of MedicalMicrobiology 296, 2–3: 149–161.
- Robeson D., G. Strobel, K.G. Matusumoto, L.E. Fisher, H.M. Chen and J. Clardy. 1984. Experientia 40: 1248–1250
- Roy V., B.L. Adams and W.E. Bentley. 2001. Developing next generation antimicrobials by intercepting AI-2 mediated quorum sensing. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 49, 2: 113–123.
- Souza Anderson S., N.L. dos Santos Walter and C.L. Ferreira Sergio. 2005. Application of Box-Behnken design in the optimization of an on-line pre-concentration system using knotted reactor for cadmium determination by flame atomic absorption spectrometry. Spectrochimica Acta Part B, 609: 737–742.
- Sparrow F.K. 1950. Some cuban phycomycetes. J. of the Washington Academy of Science 40: 50–55.
- Sparrow F.K. 1973. Chytridiomycetes. Hyphochytridiomycetes. In the Fungi IVB (ed. G.C. Ainsworth, F.K. Sparrow & A.S. Sussman), pp. 85–110. Academic press.
- Vattem D.A., K. Mihalik, H.S. Crixell, R. McLean and Y. Dietar. 2007. Phytochemicals as quorum sensing inhibitors. Fitoterapia. Jun, 78 (4): 302–310.
- Waters M.C. and B.L. Bassler. 2005. Quorum sensing: cell-to-cell communication in bacteria. Annual Review of Cell and Developmental Biology 21: 319–346.
- Youatt J., R. Fleming and B. Jobling. 1971. Differentiation in species of Allomyces: The production of sporangia. Australian J. of Biological Sciences 24: 1163–1167.