Post-lunch dip syndrome - temptation for reassessment
Treść / Zawartość
The phenomenon of decrease in performance during the early afternoon hours was observed by researchers as early as the nineteenth century. At first it was thought that the reason was food consumption (thus the term "post-lunch dip”). In the light of the review of research presented in the paper the post-lunch syndrome emerges as a multidimensional mechanism. It has to be stated that the phenomenon is, on the one hand, conditioned by the bi-phase rhythm of sleepiness and, on the other hand, changing balance between the right and the left hemispheres. Still an open-ended question remains if other mechanisms such as fatigue are also responsible for this occurrence.
- Babkoff H, Thorne DR, Sing HC, Genser SG, Taube SL, Hegge FW, 1985, Dynamic Changes in work/rest cycles in a study of sleep deprivation. Behaviour Research Methods, Instruments, and Computers, 17, 604-613.
- Babkoff H, Mikulincer M, Caspy T, Larasso RL, Sing HC, 1989, The implications of sleep loss for circadian performance accuracy. Work and Stress, 3 (1), 3-14.
- Bellisle F, Blundell JE, Dye L, Fantino M, Fern E, Flether RJ, Lambert J, Roberfroid M, Specter S, Westenhofer J, Westerterp-Plantenga MS, 1998, Functional food science and behaviour and psychological functions. British Journal of Nutrition, 80 (Suplement1), S173-S193.
- Broughton R, Dunham W, Newman J, Lutley K, Duschesne P, Rivers M, 1998, Ambulatory 24 hour sleep-wake monitoring in narcolepsy-cataplexy compared to matched controls. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 70(6), 473-481.
- Campbell SS, 1992, The timing and structure of spontaneous naps. [in:] Stampi C (ed.) Why we nap: evolution, chronobiology, and function of polyphasic and ultrashort sleep. Birkhauser, Boston.
- Campbell SS, Zulley J, 1985, Ultradian components of human sleep/wake patterns during disentrainment. [in:] Schultz H and Lavie P (eds.) Ultradian Rhythms in Physiology and Behavior. Experimental Brain Research. Springer, Berlin.
- Carskadon MA, Dement WC, 1992, Multiple sleep latency tests during the constant routine. Sleep, 15 (5), 396-399.
- Christie MJ, McBrearty EMT, 1979, Psychophysiological investigations of post lunch state in male and female subjects. Ergonomics, 22, 307-323.
- Ciarkowska W, 2000, Czy pora dnia wpływa na procesy poznawcze? Psychologia - Etologia - Gene¬tyka, 2, 19-52.
- Colquhoun WP, 1971, Circadian variations in mental efficiency. [in:] Colquhoun WP (ed.) Biological rhythms and human performance. Academic Press, London.
- Colquhoun WP, 1982, Biological rhythms and performance. [in:] Webb WB (ed.) Biological rhytms, sleep and performance. J Wiley, Chichester.
- Corbera X, Grau C, Vendrell P, 1993, Diurnal oscillations in hemispheric performance. Journal of Clinical Experimental Neuropsychology, 15, 300-310.
- Craig A, 1986, Acute effects of meals on perceptual and cognitive efficiency. Nutrition Reviews, 44, 163-171.
- Fąfrowicz M, 2006, Operation of attention disengagement and its diurnal variability. Ergonomia, 28 (1), 13-31.
- Folkard S, 1979, Time of day and level processing, Memory and Cognition, 7, 247-252.
- FoIkard S, 1983, Diurnal variations. [in:] Hockey GRJ (ed.) Stress and Fatigue in Human Performance. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- Folkard S, 1996, Effects on performance efficiency. [in:] Colquhoun WP, Costa G, Folkard, S, Knauth P (eds.) Shiftwork. Problems and Solutions. Peter Lang, Frankfurt am Main.
- Gates Al, 1916, Variations in efficiency during the day, together with practice effects, sex differences and correlations. University Publications in Psychology, 2, 1-156.
- Haworth N, 1998, Fatigue and fatigue research: The Australian Experience [in:] 7-th Biennial Australian Traffic Education Conference. Speed, Alcohol, Fatigue Effects. Brisbane, Australia.
- Home JA, Gibbons H, 1991, Effects on vigilance performance and sleepiness of alcohol given in the early afternoon (‘post lunch’) vs. early evening. Ergonomics, 34(1), 67-77.
- Javterre C, Ventura JL, Segura R, Calvo M, Garrido E, 1996, Is the post-lunch dip in sprinting per¬formance associated with the timing of food ingestion? Rev. Esp. Fisiol., 52(4), 247-253.
- Kleitman N, 1963, Sleep and wakefulness. Chicago University Press, Chicago.
- Laird DA, 1925, Relative performance of college students as conditioned by time of day and day of week. Journal of Experimental Psychology, 8, 50-63.
- Lamberg L, 1994, Bodyrhythms: Chronobiology and Peak Performance. Morrow Company Inc., New York.
- Lavie P, 1986, Ultrashort sleep - waking schedule. „Gates” and „Forbidden zones” for sleep. Electroencephalography and Clinical Neurophysiology, 63, 414-425.
- Liberman HR, Spring BJ, Garfield GS, 1986, The behavioral effects of food constituents: strategies used in studies of aminoacids, protein, carbohydrate and caffeine. Nutrition Reviews, 44, 61-69.
- Menna-Barreto L, 1997, Clocks and Rhythms. Brain & Mind, 4.
- Oakhill JV, 1986, Effects of time of day and information importance on adults memory for a short story. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, 38, 419-430.
- Owens DS, Macdonald I, Tucker P, Sytnik N, Totterdell P, Minors D, Waterhouse J, Folkard S, 2000, Diurnal variations in the mood and performance of highly practiced young women living under strictly controlled conditions. British Journal of Psychology, 91 (1), 41-60.
- Pollitt E, Mathews R, 1998, Breakfast and cognition: an integrative summary. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 67, 804-813.
- Reilly T, 1987, Circadian rhythms in exercise. [in:] Macleod DAD, Maughan RJ, Nimmo M, Reilly T, Williams C (eds.) Exercise: Benefits, Limits and Adaptations. E.& F.N. Spon, London.
- Richardson GS, Carscadon MA, Orav EJ. Dement WC, 1982, Circadian variation of sleep tendency in elderly and young adult subjects. Sleep, 5, S82-S94.
- Smith AP, Miles C, 1986, The effects of lunch on cognitive vigilance tasks. Ergonotnics, 29, 1251- 1261.
- Strogatz SH, Kronauer RE, Czeisler CA, 1987, Circadian pacemaker interferes with sleep onset at specific times of day: role of insomnia. American Journal of Physiology, 253, R172-R178.
- Wever RA, 1985, Men in temporal isolation: basic principles of the circadian system, [in:] Folkard S and Monk TH (eds.) Hours of work: temporal factors in work scheduling. J. Wiley & Sons, Chichester.
- Winch WH, 1912, Mental fatigue in day schooł children as measured by immediate memory. Journal of Educational Psychology, 3, 18-28.
- Young SN, 2002, The fuzzy boundary between nutrition and psychopharmacology. Canadian Medical Association Journal, 166 (2), 205-209.
Rekord w opracowaniu