Antihyperlipidemic and antiatherogenic activity of simvastatin may involve modulation of the expression of lecithin:cholesterol acyl transferase
Treść / Zawartość
Introduction: The statin-induced effects on high density lipoprotein (HDL) are relatively small compared with those of low density lipoprotein (LDL) and, as a result, most clinical trials of statins are underpowered with respect to HDL parameters. This study experimentally investigated, the effects of statin on serum lipids, atherogenic index and examined the possibility of a relationship amongst serum concentrations of HDL-C, atherogenic index and activity of lecithin:cholesterol acyl transferase. Method: Thirty albino rats equally divided into 2 groups were used for the study. Group 1 was given 0.05mg/g of statin daily for 28 days, while group 2 served as control. HDL concentration was determined as a measure of HDL-C. Total cholesterol (TC), triglyceride (TG) and HDL-C were determined spectrophotometrically while LDL-C was calculated using the Frieldwald formula. Effect on the activity of lecithin:cholesterol acyl transferase was determined by the difference between the amount of free cholesterol converted to cholesteryl ester in the two experimental groups. Effects on body and relative organs weights were also determined. Results: The administration of statin caused a significant increase in serum concentration of HDL-C, while levels of LDL-C, triglyceride and total cholesterol were reduced. Simvastatin caused a significant reduction in the atherogenic index (TC/HDL-C; LDLC/HDL-C). The administration of statin significantly induced the activity of lecithin:cholesterol acyl transferase (LCAT) as evident by reduced serum concentration of free cholesterol when compared with control. The administration of statin caused reduced body and relative organs weights. Conclusion: The study showed that serum antihyperlipidemic and antiatherogenic activity of statin may involve the induction of LCAT.
- Allain CC, Poon LS, Chan CS, Richmond W, Fu PC(1974) Enzymatic determination of total serum cholesterol. Clin Chem 20: 470-475.
- Andrews TC, Ballantyne CM, Hsia JA, Kramer JH (2001) Achieving and maintaining national cholesterol education program low-density lipoprotein cholesterol goals with five statins. Am J Med 111: 185-191.
- Assmann G, Gotto AM Jr (2004) HDL cholesterol and protective factors in atherosclerosis. Circulation 109: III8-III14.
- Assmann G, Schriewer H, Schmitz G, Hägele EO (1983) Quantification of high-density-lipoprotein cholesterol by precipitation with phosphotungstic acid and MgCl2. Clin Chem 29: 2026-2030.
- Baigent C, Keech A, Kearney PM, Blackwell L, Buck G, Pollicino C, Kirby A, Sourjina T., Peto R, Collins R et al. (2005) Cholesterol Treatment Trialists' (CTT) Collaborators. Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins. Lancet 366: 1267-1278.
- Barter P, Gotto AM, LaRosa JC, Moroni J, Szarek M, Grundy SM, Kastelein JJ, Bittner V, Fruchart JC (2007) HDL cholesterol, very low levels of LDL cholesterol and cardiovascular events. N Engl J Med 357: 1301-1310.
- Bea F, Blessing E, Bennett B, Levitz M, Wallace EP, Rosenfeld ME (2002) Simvastatin promotes atherosclerotic plaque stability in apoE-deficient mice independently of lipid lowering. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22: 1832-1837.
- Bela AF, Collins D, Cupples LA, Demissie S, Horvath KV, Bloomfield HE, Robins SJ, Schaefer EJ (2009) Value of high-density lipoprotein (HDL) subpopulations in predicting recurrent cardiovascular events in the Veterans Affairs HDL Intervention Trial. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 25: 2185-2191.
- Brown WV (2001) Novel approaches to lipid lowering: what is on the horizon. Am J Cardiol 87: 23B-27B.
- Bruce C, Tall AR (1995) Cholesteryl ester transfer proteins, reverse cholesterol transport, and atherosclerosis. Curr Opin Lipidol 6: 306-311.
- Bucolo G, David H (1973) Quantitative determination of serum triglyceride by the use of enzymes. Clin Chem 19: 476-482.
- Choudhury RP, Carrelli AL, Stern JD, Chereshnev I, Soccio R, Elmalem VI, Fallon JT, Fisher EA, Reis ED (2004) Effects of simvastatin on plasma lipoproteins and response to arterial injury in wild-type and apolipoprotein-Edeficient mice. J Vasc Res 41: 75-83.
- Curtiss LK, Plow EF (1984) Interaction of plasma lipoproteins with human platelets. Blood 64: 365-374.
- Downs JR, Clearfield M, Weis S, Whitney E, Shapiro DR, Beere PA, Langendorfer A, Stein EA, Kruyer W, Gotto AM Jr (1998) Primary prevention of acute coronary events with lovastatin in men and women with average cholesterol levels: results of AFCAPS/TexCAPS. Air Force/Texas Coronary Atherosclerosis Prevention Study. JAMA 279: 1615-1622.
- Endo A, Tsujita Y, Kuroda M, Tanzawa K (1977) Inhibition of cholesterol synthesis in vitro and in vivo by ML-236A and ML-236B, competitive inhibitors of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl-coenzyme A reductase. Eur J Biochem 77: 31-36.
- Fleisher LN, Tall AR, Witte LD et al. (1982) Stimulation of arterial endothelial cell prostacyclin synthesis by high density lipoproteins. J Biol Chem 257: 6653-6655.
- Francone OL, Fielding CJ (1991) Effects of site-directed mutagenesis at residues cysteine-31 and cysteine-184 on lecithin-cholesterol acyltransferase activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 88: 1716-1720.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS (1972) Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clin Chem 18: 499-502.
- Galle J, Ochslen M, Schollmeyer P et al. (1994) Oxidized lipoproteins inhibit endothelium-dependent vasodilation. Effects of pressure and high density lipoprotein. Hypertension 23: 556-564.
- Gordon T, Castelli WP, Hjortland MC, Kannel WB, Dawber TR (1977) High density lipoprotein as a protective factor against coronary heart disease. The Framingham Study. Am J Med 62: 707-714.
- Gtez HG, Hovingh GK, Hutten BA, Holleboom AG, Petersen W, Rol P, Stalenhoef A, Zwinderman AH, Groot E, Kastelein JJP, Kuivenhoven JA (2009) Compromised LCAT function is associated with increased atherosclerosis. Circulation 112: 879-884.
- Guohua Song, Jia Liu, Zhenmei Zhao, Yang Yu, Hua Tian, Shutong Yao, Guoli Li, Shucun Qin (2011) Simvastatin reduces atherogenesis and promotes the expression of hepatic genes associated with reverse cholesterol transport in apoE-knockout mice fed high-fat diet. Lipids Health Disease 10: 8.
- Guohua S, Taggart F, Jones P (2011) Effects of statins on high-density lipoproteins: a potential contribution to cardiovascular benefit. Cardiovasc Drugs Ther 22: 321-338.
- Jones PH, Davidson MH, Stein EA, Bays HE, McKenney JM, Miller E, Cain VA, Blasetto JW (2003) Comparison of the efficacy and safety of rosuvastatin versus atorvastatin, simvastatin and pravastatin across doses (STELLAR* Trial). Am J Cardiol 92: 152-160.
- Jones P, Kafonek S, Laurora I, Hunninghake D (1998) Comparative dose efficacy study of atorvastatin versus simvastatin, pravastatin, lovastatin and fluvastatin in patients with hypercholesterolemia. Am J Cardiol 81: 582-587.
- Koller E, Koller F, Doleschel W (1982) Specific binding sites on human blood platelets for plasma lipoproteins. Hoppe Seylers Z Physiol Chem 363: 395-405.
- Mackness MI, Durrington PN, Mackness B (2000) How high-density lipoprotein protects against the effects of lipid peroxidation. Curr Opin Lipidol 11: 383-388.
- Masunori M, Toru K, Hiroshi M, Yuji M, Noriaki N, Shinichi O, Yasushi S, Jun S, Kazuaki S, Hiroshige I, and the J-LIT Study Group (2002) Large scale cohort study of the relationship between serum cholesterol concentration and coronary events with low-dose simvastatin therapy in Japanese patients with hypercholesterolemia. Circ J 66: 1087-1095.
- Matsuda Y, Hirata K, Inoue N et al. (1993) High density lipoprotein reverses inhibitory effect of oxidized low density lipoprotein on endothelium dependent arterial relaxation. Circ Res 72: 1103-1109.
- Nandagopal A, Jangala VR, Subramaniyam K, Srujitpal R, Eashwar R (2008) Study of interaction between antiobesity and hypolipidemic drugs. Int J Health Res 1: 189-195 (e144p26-33).
- Nofer JR, Walter M, Kehrel B et al. (1998) HDL3-mediated inhibition of thrombin-induced platelet aggregation and fibrinogen binding occurs via decreased production of phosphoinositide-derived second messengers1,2-diacylglycerol and inositol 1,4,5-tris-phosphate. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 18: 861-869.
- Packman CH, Rosenfeld SI, Leddy JP (1985) High-density lipoprotein and its apolipoproteins inhibit cytolytic activity of complement. Studies onthe nature of inhibitory moiety. Biochim Biophys Acta 812: 107-115.
- Rosenfeld SI, Packman CH, Leddy JP (1983) Inhibition of the lytic action of cell-bound terminal complement components by human high density lipoproteins and apoproteins. J Clin Invest 71: 795-808.
- Sacks FM, Pfeffer MA, Moye LA, Rouleau JL, Rutherford JD, Cole TG, Brown L, Warnica JW, Arnold JM, Wun CC, Davis BR, Braunwald E (1996) The effect of pravastatin on coronary events after myocardial infarction in patients with average cholesterol levels. Cholesterol and Recurrent Events Trial investigators. N Engl J Med 335: 1001-1009.
- Shepherd J, Cobbe SM, Ford I, Isles CG, Lorimer AR, MacFarlane PW, McKillop JH, Packard CJ (1995) For the West of Scotland Coronary Prevention Study Group. Prevention of coronary heart disease with pravastatin in men with hypercholesterolemia. N Engl J Med 333: 1301-1307.
- Shinde S, Chivate N, Kulkarni P, Naikwade N (2013) Hypolipidemic activity of psidium guajava linn leaves extracts in hyperlipidemic rats. Int J Pharm Pharmac Sci 5: 70-72.
- Sipahi I, Nicholls SJ, Tuzcu EM, Nissen SE (2006) Coronary atherosclerosis can regress with very intensive statin therapy. Cleve Clin J Med 73: 937-944.
- Sposito AC, Chapman MJ (2002) Statin therapy in acute coronary syndromes: mechanistic insight into clinical benefit. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 22: 1524-1534.
- Sugiyama S, Kugiyama K, Matsumura T et al. (1995) Lipoproteins regulate C-type natriuretic peptide secretion from cultured vascular endothelial cells. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 15: 1968-1974.
- Vakeva A, Jauhiainen M, Ehnholm C et al. (1994) High-density lipoproteins can act as carriers of glycophosphoinositol lipid-anchored CD59 in human plasma. Immunology 82: 28-33.
- Wang J, Gebre AK, Anderson RA, Parks JS (1997) Cloning and in vitro expression of rat lecithin:cholesterol acyltransferase. Biochem Biophs Acta 1346: 207-211.
- Wang YX, Martin-McNulty B, Huw LY, da Cunha V, Post J, Hinchman J, Vergona R, Sullivan ME, Dole W, Kauser K (2002) Anti-atherosclerotic effect of simvastatin depends on the presence of apolipoprotein E. Atherosclerosis 162: 23-31.
- Zeiher AM, Schachlinger V, Hohnloser SH et al. (1994) Coronary atherosclerotic wall thickening and vascular reactivity in humans. Elevated high-density lipoprotein levels ameliorate abnormal vasoconstriction in early atherosclerosis. Circulation 89: 2525-2532.