Dependence between body tissue composition and results achieved by weightlifters
Treść / Zawartość
Background: A literature review and an analysis of lifting techniques indicate that the tissue composition and structure of the body, and especially some of its elements have a decisive influence on the results. The objective of the reported study was to characterize tissue components of the best Polish male weightlifters in view of the age and sports results they achieve. Material/Methods: Competitors of the Men's Polish Championships in Weightlifting in 2004 were subjects of this study. The study comprised 138 sportsmen evaluated in the following age categories: seniors, youth, older juniors, and younger juniors. Measurements that enabled estimating the tissue composition of the body were taken with Piechaczek's method by. In the evaluated groups, sports results achieved in the Championships were converted into points according to Sinclair's scale. Arithmetic means and standard deviation (SD) as well as the number of points scored were computed in each age category. The value of Pearson's correlation coefficient was computed between the discussed somatic traits and obtained results. Results: Out of all the surveyed participants of the Polish Championships in Weightlifting only younger juniors were characterized by too high values of body height, which may affect their body mass to body height proportions. Conclusions: The analysis of results of the tissue composition of the body in age categories and with consideration given to the level of achieved sports results demonstrated that along with training experience and its level, the content of real active tissue was increasing in the surveyed sportsmen.
- Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Department of Nutrition and Development of Human Biological, Josef Pilsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw, ul.Akademicka 2, 21-500 Biała Podlaska, Poland
- Faculty of Physical Education and Sport, Department of Nutrition and Development of Human Biological, Josef Pilsudski University of Physical Education in Warsaw, Warsaw, Poland
- 1. Norton K, Olds T. Morphological evolution of athletes over the 20th Century: causes and consequences. Sports Med 2001;11:763-83.
- 2. Lago-Penas C, Casais L, Dellal A, Rey E, Dominguez E. Anthropometric and physiological characteristics of young soccer players according to their playing positions: relevance for competition success. J Strength Cond Res 2011;12:3358-3367.
- 3. Acland TR, Ong KB, Kerr DA, Ridge B. Morphological characteristic of Olympic sprint canoe and kayak paddlers. J Sci Med Sport 2003;3:285-94.
- 4. Saczuk J, Wasiluk A. Somatic characteristic of ITF taekwon-do athletes. Physical Education and Sport 2004;3:223-9.
- 5. Baca KJ. Somatotype of Word Class Power Lifters. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2008;5:277.
- 6. Funato K, Kanehisa H, Fukunaga T. Differences in muscle cross-sectional area and strength between elite and college Olympic weight lifters. J Sports Med Phys Fit 2000;40:312-18.
- 7. Olesko VG, et al. Śodo etapu bezposeredn’oT pidgotovki zbirnoT komandi UkraTni z vażkoi atletiki do igor XXVII olimpiadi. [in Ukrainian] [On stage direct preparation team of Ukraine to the weightlifting competition XXVIII World Cup]. Kiiv, Metodicni Rekomendacii, 2000.
- 8. Vilamitjana JJ. Longitudinal Morphological Evolution in National Representative Weight Lifters. Med Sci Sports Exerc 2001;5:35.
- 9. Keogh JWL, Hume PA, Pearson SN, Mellow P. Anthropometric dimension of male power lifter of varying body mass. J Sports Sci 2007;12:1365-76.
- 10. Piechaczek H. Oznaczanie całkowitego tłuszczu ciała metodami densytometryczną i antropometryczną [in Polish] [Determining total body fat with densitometric and anthropometric methods]. MPA 1975;89:3-48.
- 11. Alberta Weightlifting Association. Sinclair Coefficients. AWS Affiliated with the CWFHC and IWF, 2001.
- 12. Piotrowski J. Podstawowe wskaźniki somatyczne finalistek i finalistów Igrzysk Olimpijskich w Seulu w 1988r., jako punkt odniesienia do kryteriów selekcji. [in Polish] [Basic somatic indicators of the finalists of the Olympic Games in Seoul in 1988, as a reference to the selection criteria].Warszawa: Instytut Sportu; 1990.
- 13. Krawczyk B, Skład M, Jackiewicz A. Heath-Carter somatotypes of athletes representing various sports. Biol Sport 1997;4:305-310.
- 14. Skład M, ed. Wybrane wskaźniki rozwoju biologicznego dziewcząt i chłopców z Podlasia. [in Polish] [Selected indicators of biological development of girls and boys from Podlasie, Poland]. Biała Podlaska: Instytut Wychowania Fizycznego i Sportu; 2000.