Effects of packaging and ozone treatments on quality preservation in purple figs
The present study was conducted to investigate the effects of different package types and ozone treatments on post-harvest quality of figs. Three different package types (classical-type, modified atmosphere –MAP, consumer-type) and different ozone treatments (0, 5, 10 and 15 minutes) were used in experiments. Purple figs grown in Tekkeköy town of Samsun province were used as the experimental material of the study. Fruits harvested at optimum harvest period were subjected to pre-cooling for a day and then stored in a cold storage at 4°C temperature and 85–90% relative humidity. At the beginning of cold storage and each week of storage, fruits removed from the storage were subjected to weight loss, water soluble dry matter content, titratable acidity, wrinkle, leakage, mold spots, peeling and degustation analyses. Current findings revealed that MAP and 10 or 15-minute ozone treatments had positive impacts on weight loss prevention in figs. While there were not significant differences in other characteristics of treatments, 10 and 15-minute ozone treatments retarded mold spots and leakage in consumer and modified packages.
- Achen, M., Yousef, A.E. (2001). Efficacy of ozone against E. coli O157:H7 on apples. Int. J. Food Sci. Technol., 66(9), 1380–1384.
- Akbulut, M., Ozcan, M. (2005). Investigation on the effects of different packages on postharvest the crop and quality losses in 0900 ziraat cherry cultivar. 3th National Storage and Marketing Symposium, 6–9 September 2005, Hatay, Turkey, 180–187.
- Aksoy, U., Zafer, H.C., Meyvaci, B., Sen, F. (2007). Dried figs, sultanas and dried apricots. Aegean Exporters’ Association, Dried Fruit Promotion Committee of Turkey, 139.
- Bahar, A. (2006). The effect of different postharvest treatments on physiological disorders during cold storage of some important late nectarines cultivars. Department of Horticulture Institute of Natural and Applied Sciences University of Cukurova, Ph.D. Thesis (unpublished).
- Barth, M.M., Zhou, C., Mercier, J., Payne, F.A. (1995). Ozone storage effects on antocyanin content and fungal growth in blackberries. Int. J. Food Sci., 60, 1286–1288.
- Basel, R.M., Racicot, K., Senecal, A.G. (2002). Long shelf life banana storage using map storage coupled with postharvest MCP treatment. Annual Meeting and Food Expo-Anaheim, Cal., USA, May 15–19.
- Bostan, S.Z., Islam A., Aygun A. (1997). A study on pomological caracteristics of local fig cultivars in Northern Turkey. Acta Hortic., 480, 71–73.
- Brown, T., Corry, J.E.L., James, S.J. (2004). Humidification of chilled fruit and vegetables on retail display using an ultrasonic fogging system with water/air ozonation. Int. J. Refrig., 27, 862–868.
- Cagatay, O. (2006). Effects of ozone treatment on cold storage of sweet cherries. Department of Horticulture Institute of Natural and Applied Sciences University of Süleyman Demirel, Master Thesis (unpublished). Demirdoven, A., Batu, A., Ece, A. (2006). Modified atmosphere packaging of pepper. Gida, 1, 1–7.
- Drake, S.R., Kupferman, E.M. (1990). Modified atmosphere packaging of sweet cherries. Proc. Washington State Hort. Assoc., 86, 210. FAOSTAT (2016). Figs production quantity, //http://www.fao.org/faostat/en/#data/QC.
- Hildebrand, P.D., Forney, C.F., Song, J.F.L., Mcrae, K.B. (2008). Effect of a continuous low ozone exposure (50 Nll - 1) on decay and quality of stored carrots. Postharvest Biol. Technol., 49(3), 397–402.
- Karaca, H. (2010). Effect of ozonation on microbial inactivation and shelf life of lettuce, spinach and parsley. Department of Food Engineering Institute of Natural and Applied Sciences University of Ankara, Ph.D. Thesis (unpublished).
- Kaynas, K., Sakaldas, M., Kuzucu, F.C. (2008). Effects of postharvest different MAP treatments on quality of some apricot cultivars grown in Çanakkale province. 4th National Storage and Marketing Symposium, 8–11 October 2008, Antalya, Turkey, 25–32.
- Koyuncu, M.A. (1998). A Study on some fruit characteristics in local fig cultivars grown in Hilvan. Acta Hortic., 480, 83–85.
- Koyuncu, M.A., Seydim A.C., Dilmacunal T., Savran E., Tas, T. (2008). Effects of different precooling treatments with ozonated water on the quality of '0900 ziraat' sweet cherry fruit. Acta Hortic., 795, 831–836.
- Langlais, B., Reckhow, D.A., Brink, D.A. (1991). Practical aplication of ozone, principle and case study in ‘Ozone in Water Treatment’. Aplication and Engineering, Lewis Publishers, Chelsea, MI, USA. Lurie, S., Zeidman, M., Zuthi, Y., Ben Arie, R. (1992). Controlled atmophere storage to decrease physiological decrease physiological disorders in peaches and nectarines, Hassadeh, 72(9), 1118–1122.
- Nadas, A., Olmo, M., Garcia, J.M. (2003). Growth of Botytis cinerea and stawberry quality in ozone-enriched atmosphere. J. Food Sci., 68(5), 1100–1106.
- Namdar S., Ozcan, M. (2007). The effect of different packing materials on cold storage and quality of Hayward kiwifruit cultivar. II National Small Fruit Symposium, 14–16 September 2007, Tokat, Turkey. Nobel Pub., 1144, Sci. Biol., 35, 348–353.
- Ozcan, M. (2014). Harvest, storage and marketing. Fruit. Nobel Pub., 351, Science, 26, 463–492.
- Palou, L., Smilanick, J.L., Mansour, M., Crisosto, C.H., Clark, T.J. (2005). Evaluation of ozone gas penetration through citrus commercial packages and control of green and blue molds sporulation during cold storage. Central Valley Postharvest Newsletter, University of California, 14(1), 1–10.
- Sabir, F.K., Senel, B.S., Agar, I.T. (2010). The effects of hot water treatment and modified atmosphere packaging on storage and postharvest quality of tomato cv. Mirella F1. Alatarım, 9(2), 22–29.
- Sekse, L. (1989). Storage potential of sweet cherries. Hortic. Sci. Abstr., 59(6), 4598. TUIK (2016). Crop production statistics, http://www.tuik.gov.tr/.
- Xu, L. (1999). Use of ozone to improve the safety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Food Technol., 53(10), 58–61.