Effect of oral administration of commercial gold nanocolloid on peripheral blood leukocytes in mice
Treść / Zawartość
During the last few decades, owing to their unique properties, gold nanoparticles (AuNPs) have found numerous biomedical applications. Studies on rodents prove that AuNPs entering an organism easily reach the bloodstream and undergo wide tissue distribution. The presence of nanoparticles inside blood and bone marrow cells of exposed animals may implicate its influence on hematopoesis and the functions of peripheral blood leukocytes. The aim of this study was to determine the effect of oral administration of commercial gold nanocolloid, recommended by the producer as a dietary supplement, on the percentage of lymphocyte populations and proliferative response, as well as the activity of phagocytes in the peripheral blood of mice. The colloid was given to the animals in three different doses (0.25, 2.5, 25 ppm), for three different time periods (7, 14, 28 days). Mice given nanoparticles showed increased activity of phagocytes and some changes in the lymphocyte phenotypes. The elevated activity of granulocytes and monocytes, in terms of both phagocytic and respiratory burst activity, was transient and noticed only after a short time of administration, which may indicate some adaptability of blood phagocytes to prolonged presence of gold nanoparticles in the body. However, phenotypic modifications among lymphocytes in the group of animals given the middle dose of colloid (i.e. increased percentage of B and CD4+CD8+ DP T cells) did not occur until after the 28-day administration, which in turn seems indicative of some immune dysregulation due to the prolonged contact with nanogold.
- Arnida, Janát-Amsbury MM, Ray A, Peterson CM, Ghan-dehari H (2011) Geometry and surface characteristics of gold nanoparticles influence their biodistribution and uptake by macrophages. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 77: 417-423.
- Balasubramanian SK, Jittiwat J, Manikandan J, Ong CN, Yu LE, Ong WY (2010) Biodistribution of gold nanoparticles and gene expression changes in the liver and spleen after intravenous administration in rats. Biomaterials 31: 2034-2042.
- Brown CL, Whitehouse MW, Tiekink ER, Bushell GR (2008) Colloidal metallic gold is not bio-inert. Inflammopharmacology 16: 133-137.
- Chen H, Dorrigan A, Saad S, Hare DJ, Cortie MB, Valenzuela SM (2013) In vivo study of spherical gold nanoparticles: inflammatory effects and distribution in mice. PLoS One 8: e58208.
- Chueh PJ, Liang RY, Lee YH, Zeng ZM, Chuang SM (2014) Differential cytotoxic effects of gold nanoparticles in different mammalian cell lines. J Hazard Mater 264: 303-312.
- Dokić J, Rudolf R, Tomić S, Stopić S, Friedrich B, Budic B, Anzel I, Colić M (2012) Immunomodulatory properties of nanoparticles obtained by ultrasonic spray pyrolysis from gold scrap. J Biomed Nanotechnol 8: 528-538.
- Dohnert MB, Venaáncio M, Possato JC, Zeferino RC, Dohnert LH, Zugno AI, De Souza CT, Paula MM, Luciano TF (2012) Gold nanoparticles and diclofenac diethylammonium administered by iontophoresis reduce inflammatory cytokines expression in Achilles tendinitis. Int J Nanomedicine 7: 1651-1657.
- Dykman LA, Sumaroka MV, Staroverov SA, Zaitseva IS, Bogatyrev VA (2004) Immunogenic properties of the colloidal gold. Izv Akad Nauk Ser Biol 1: 86-91.
- Gerber A, Bundschuh M, Klingelhofer D, Groneberg DA (2013) Gold nanoparticles: recent aspects for human toxicology. J Occup Med Toxicol 8: 32.
- Hillyer JF, Albrecht RM (2001) Gastrointestinal persorption and tissue distribution of differently sized colloidal gold nanoparticles. J Pharm Sci 90: 1927-1936.
- Hirn S, Semmler-Behnke M, Schleh C, Wenk A, Lipka J, Schaffler M, Takenaka S, Moller W, Schmid G, Simon U, Kreyling WG (2011) Particle size-dependent and surface charge-dependent biodistribution of gold nanoparticles after intravenous administration. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 77: 407-416.
- Joseph MM, Aravind SR, Varghese S, Mini S, Sreelekha TT (2013) PST-Gold nanoparticle as an effective anticancer agent with immunomodulatory properties. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 104: 32-39.
- Lasagna-Reeves C, Gonzales-Romero D, Barria MA, Olmedo I, Clos A, Sadagopa Ramanujam VM, Urayama A, Vergara L, Kogan MJ, Soto C (2010) Bioaccumulation and toxicity of gold nanoparticles after repeated administration in mice. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 393: 649-655.
- Lee JY, Park W, Yi DK (2012) Immunostimulatory effects of gold nanorod and silica-coated gold nanorod on RAW 264.7 mouse macrophages. Toxicol Lett 209: 51-57.
- Małaczewska J (2015) The splenocyte proliferative response and cytokine secretion in mice after oral administration of commercial gold nanocolloid. Pol J Vet Sci 18: 181-189.
- Mosmann T (1983) Rapid colorimetric assay for cellular growth and survival: application to proliferation and cytotoxicity assays. J Immunol Methods 65: 55-63.
- Parel Y, Chizzolini C (2004) CD4+ CD8+ double positive (DP) T cells in health and disease. Autoimmun Rev 3: 215-220.
- Pedersen MO, Larsen A, Pedersen DS, Stoltenberg M, Penkowa M (2009) Metallic gold reduces TNF alpha expression, oxidative DNA damage and pro-apoptotic signals after experimental brain injury. Brain Res 1271: 103-113.
- Pereira DV, Petronilho F, Pereira HR, Vuolo F, Mina F, Possato JC, Vitto MF, de Souza DR, da Silva L, da Silva Paula MM, de Souza CT, Dal-Pizzol F (2012) Effects of gold nanoparticles on endotoxin-induced uveitis in rats. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 53: 8036-8041.
- Perez AR, Morrot A, Berbert LR, Terra-Granado E, Savino W (2012) Extrathymic CD4 + CD8+ lymphocytes in Chagas disease: possible relationship with an immunoendocrine imbalance. Ann NY Acad Sci 1262: 27-36.
- Pissuwan D, Kumagai Y, Smith NI (2013) Effect of surface-modified gold nanorods on the inflammatory cytokine response in macrophage cells. Part Part Syst Char 30: 427-433.
- Sadauskas E, Wallin H, Stoltenberg M, Vogel U, Doering P, Larsen A, Danscher G (2007) Kupffer cells are central in the removal of nanoparticles from the organism. Part Fibre Toxicol 4: 10.
- Sharma M, Salisbury RL, Maurer EI, Hussain SM, Sulentic CE (2013) Gold nanoparticles induce transcriptional activity of NF-kB in a B-lymphocyte cell line. Nanoscale 5: 3747-3756.
- Shukla R, Bansal V, Chaudhary M, Basu A, Bhonde RR, Sastry M (2005) Biocompatibility of gold nanoparticles and their endocytotic fate inside the cellular compartment: a microscopic overview. Langmuir 21: 10644-10654.
- Sonavane G, Tomoda K, Makino K (2008) Biodistribution of colloidal gold nanoparticles after intravenous administration: effect of particle size. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 66: 274-280.
- Sumbayev VV, Yasinska IM, Garcia CP, Gilliland D, Lall GS, Gibbs BF, Bonsall DR, Varani L, Rossi F, Calzolai L (2013) Gold nanoparticles downregulate interleukin-1ß-induced proinflammatory responses. Small 9: 472-477.
- Thakor AS, Jokerst J, Zavaleta C, Massoud TF, Gambhir SS (2011) Gold nanoparticles: a revival in precious metal administration to patients. Nano Lett 11: 4029-4036.
- Tsai CY, Lu SL, Hu CW, Yeh CS, Lee GB, Lei HY (2012) Size-dependent attenuation of TLR9 signaling by gold nanoparticles in macrophages. J Immunol 188: 68-76.
- Tsai CY, Shiau AL, Chen SY, Chen YH, Cheng PC, Chang MY, Chen DH, Chou CH, Wang CR, Wu CL (2007) Amelioration of collagen-induced arthritis in rats by nanogold. Arthritis Rheum 56: 544-554.
- Victor EG, Silveira PC, Possato JC, da Rosa GL, Munari UB, de Souza CT, Pinho RA, da Silva L, Streck EL, Paula MM (2012) Pulsed ultrasound associated with gold nanoparticle gel reduces oxidative stress parameters and expression of pro-inflammatory molecules in an animal model of muscle injury. J Nanobiotechnology 10: 11.
- Yen HJ, Hsu SH, Tsai CL (2009) Cytotoxicity and immu-nological response of gold and silver nanoparticles of different sizes. Small 5: 1553-1561.
- Zuckermann FA (1999) Extrathymic CD4/CD8 double positive T cells. Vet Immunol Immunopathol 72: 55-66.
- Zhang Q, Hitchins VM, Schrand AM, Hussain SM, Goering PL (2011) Uptake of gold nanoparticles in murine macrophage cells without cytotoxicity or production of pro-inflammatory mediators. Nanotoxicology 5: 284-295.
- Zhang XD, Wu HY, Wu D, Wang YY, Chang JH, Zhai ZB, Meng AM, Liu PX, Zhang LA, Fan FY (2010) Toxicologic effects of gold nanoparticles in vivo by different administration routes. Int J Nanomedicine 5: 771-781.