Challenges of female vault finals for the 2008–2016 period
Women’s Artistic Gymnastics (WAG) competitions are determined by the rules of the Code of Points (CoP) which experience changes in each new Olympic Games (OG). One of the WAG CoP rules states that in the Vault Finals, gymnasts need to perform two different vaults. The aim of this study was to determine the quality of the vault performances and the differences between them during Vault Finals at all major competitions held from 2008 to 2016. Numerically higher values of Difficulty Scores, Execution Scores and Final Scores of the first vault compared to the scores of the second vault have been determined at all the analysed competitions. The differences between the scores during different competitions have been determined as significant, but they have not been determined as significant between the scores achieved at the OG held in 2008, 2012 and 2016. Significant differences between the Difficulty Scores of the first and the second vaults have been determined at the World Championships (WC) 2010 and OG2012; and within Final Scores of the first and the second vaults at WC2009, WC2010, OG2012 and WC2015. It was concluded that female Vault Finalists performed two structurally different vaults of similar Difficulty Value equally well.
-  Čuk I, Karácsony I. Vault-methods, ideas, curiosities, history. Ljubljana: ŠTD Sangvinčki, 2004.
-  Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique. 2009–2012 Code of Points Women’s Artistic Gymnastics. [Available at: https://issuu.com/2008agwc/docs/01-1_wag_cop_2009-2012__english_] [Accessed on 15 February, 2017].
-  Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique. 2013–2016 Code of Points Women’s Artistic Gymnastics [Available at: https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/51423843/2013-2016-code-of-pointswomens-artistic-gymnastics] [Accessed on 15 February, 2017].
-  Čuk I, Fink H, Leskošek B. Modelling the final score in artistic gymnastics by different weights of difficulty and execution. Sci Gymnastics J. 2012;4(1):73-82.
-  Fédération Internationale de Gymnastique. 2017–2020 Code of Points Women’s Artistic Gymnastics, 2017. [Available at: http://www.fig-gymnastics.com/publicdir/rules/files/wag/CoP_WAG_2017-2020_ICI-e.pdf] [Accessed on 15 February, 2017].
-  Naundorf F, Brehmer S, Knoll K, Bronst A, Wagner R. Development of the velocity for vault runs in artistic gymnastics from the last decade. In: Proceedings of 26th International Conference on Biomechanics in Sports. 2008; 481-484. [Available at: http://w4.ub.uni-konstanz.de/cpa/article/viewFile/1905/1774] [Accessed on 15 January, 2017].
-  Leskošek B, Čuk I, Karácsony I, Pajek J, Bučar M. Reliability and validity of judging in men’s artistic gymnastics at the 2009 University Games. Sci Gymnastics J. 2010;2(1):25-34.
-  Bučar Pajek M, Forbes W, Pajek J, Leskošek B, Čuk I. Reliability of Real Time Judging System (RTJS). Sci Gymnastics J. 2011;3(2):47-54.
-  Leskošek B, Čuk I, Pajek J, Forbes W, Bučar Pajek M. Bias of judging in men’s artistic gymnastics at the European Championship 2011. Biol Sport, 2012;29(2):107-113.
-  Atiković A, Delaš Kalinski S, Bijelić S, Avdibašić Vukadinović N. Analysis results judging world championships in men’s artistic gymnastics in the London 2009 year. SportLogia. 2012;7(2):93-100.
-  Perederij VV. The problem of the quality of judging in rhythmic gymnastics. Pedagogics, Psychology, Medical-Biological Problems of Physical Training and Sports. 2013;3:43-46.
-  Čuk I, Atiković A. Are disciplines in all-around men’s artistic gymnastics equal? Sport Sci Pract Aspects. Int J Kinesiol. 2009;6(1&2):8-13.
-  Bučar Pajek M, Čuk I, Pajek J, Kovač M, Leskošek B. Is the quality of judging in women artistic gymnastics equivalent at major competitions of different levels? J Hum Kinet. 2013;37(1):173-181.
-  Bučar M, Čuk I, Pajek J, Karácsony I, Leskošek B. Reliability and validity of judging in women’s artistic gymnastics at the University Games 2009. Eur J Sport Sci. 2012;12(3):207-215.
-  Erceg T, Delaš Kalinski S, Milić M. The score differences between elite European junior and senior female gymnasts. Kinesiology. 2014;46(1):88-94.
-  Gymnastics Results. [Available at: http://www.gymnasticsresults.com] [Accessed on 1 December, 2016].
-  Massida M, Calo CM. Performance scores and standing during the 43rd Artistic Gymnastics World Championships, 2011. J Sports Sci. 2012;30(13):1415-1420.
-  Leskošek B, Čuk I, Bučar Pajek M. Trends in E and D scores and their influence on final results of male gymnasts at European Championships 2005-2011. Sci Gymnastics J. 2013;5(1):29-38.
-  Arkaiev LI, Suchilin NG. Gymnastics: How to create champions (2nd ed.). Aachen: Meyer & Meyer Sport Ltd; 2009.
-  Malina RM, Baxter-Jones ADG, Armstrong N, et al. Role of intensive training in the growth and maturation of artistic gymnasts. Sports Med. 2013;43:783-802.
-  Vault in the Proposed 2013–2016 Code of Points 2012. [Available at: https://betweentheolympics.wordpress.com/2012/04/02/vault-in-the-proposed-2013-2016-code-of-points/ ] [Accessed on15 January, 2017].