A new species of Thysanote Kroyer, 1863 (Copepoda: Siphonostomatoida: Lernaeopodidae), a fish parasite from Thailand
Treść / Zawartość
Background. Thysanote Krøyer, 1863 (Copepoda, Siphonostomatoida, Lernaeopodidae) comprises 19 species of marine parasite that infect fishes. This report establishes a new Thysanote species based on new collections of copepods. The taxonomic status of this genus is not fully understood and therefore more relevant contributions are needed. Materials and Methods. The species description is based on male and female specimens collected from the olfactory sacs of spotted scat, Scatophagus argus, captured off Thailand in 2003. The specimens were studied using standard light and scanning electron microscopy techniques. Results. The studied specimens were assigned to Thysanote based on the presence of maxillary- and posterior processes and they exhibited unique characteristics such as distinctly short length of their maxillary- and posterior processes. Conclusion. Based on their unique characteristics, a new Thysanote species is erected, and named Thysanote chalermwati n. sp., thus bringing the number of congeners to 20.
- Humes A.G., Gooding R.U. 1964. A method for studying the external anatomy of copepods. Crustaceana 6: 238–240.
- Kabata Z. 1979. Parasitic Copepoda of British Fishes. The Ray Society, London.
- Kabata Z., Tareen I.U. 1981. A new species of Thysanote Krøyer, 1863 (Copepoda, Lernaeopodidae) from the Persian Gulf, with comments on the genus. Systematic Parasitology 3: 97–103.
- Piasecki W., Ohtsuka S., Yoshizaki R. 2005. Description of a new species of Thysanote Krøyer, 1863 (Copepoda: Siphonostomatoida: Lernaeopodidae) from Thailand. P. 203. In: 9th International Conference on Copepoda, Hammamet, Tunisia, July 11–15, 2005. Abstract Book.
- Pillai N.K. 1967. Copepods parasitic on Indian marine fishes—a review. Pp. 1656–1660. In: Proceedings of Symposium on Crustacea—Part V.
- Pillai N.K. 1985. Copepod parasites of marine fishes. The Fauna of India. Zoological Society of India, Calcutta.
- Pillai N.K., Prabha C., Balaraman K. 1977. (1982) Four species of lernaeopodid copepods new to the fauna of India. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of India 19: 10–15.
- Prabha C., Pillai N.K. 1981. Thysanote polyfimbriata, a new lernaeopodid copepod parasitic on Epinepheles [sic] in Kerala waters. Records of the Zoological Survey of India 79: 179–185.
- Yuniar A.T., Palm H.W., Walter T. 2007. Crustacean fish parasites from Segara Anakan Lagoon, Java, Indonesia. Parasitology Research 100: 1193–1204.