Haematological indices, size of erythrocytes and haemoglobin saturation in broiler chickens kept in commercial conditions
Treść / Zawartość
The study aimed at analysing and comparing haematological indices, blood saturation and dimensions of red blood cells of Ross 308 broiler chickens of both sexes. On day 44 of rearing, blond was withdrawn once from 60 randomly selected chickens (1:1 sex ratio). Prior to blood withdrawal the chickens were weighed and their heart rate and haemoglobin saturation were assessed. The following blood parameters were determined: number of RBC and WBC, HGB content and HCT value. In addition, MCV, MCH and MCHC indices were calculated as well as the content (%) of individual leukocyte forms. Measured was also the length, width and circumference of erythrocytes. The measured heart rate (sexes pooled) ranged from 179 to 438 beats/min. Females had significantly higher (by 26.2 beats/min.) value of this trait in comparison with males. Blood of birds of both sexes was characterized by similar haemoglobin saturation (87%). MCV value in males was found by 3.35 fl higher than that in females. Eosinophiles content of blood was by 1.77 percent units higher in females which were also characterised by smaller and more elongated red blood cells. A significant positive relationship was also found between leukocyte and erythrocyte numbers, hemoglobin content and haematocrit value. Negative values of phenotype correlation coefficient were fund between MCHC and erythrocyte number, haemoglobin content and haematocrit value. A lower MCV value and higher content of eosinophils of blood were identified in females which were also characterized by smaller and more elongated erythrocytes.
- AVIAGEN 2007 – Broiler performance objectives. www.aviagen.com
- BOMSKI A., 1989 – Basic laboratory investigations of haematology. In Polish. PZWL, Warszawa, Poland, 56-182.
- BUYS N., SCHEELE C.W., KWAKERNAAK C., VAN DER KLIS J.D., DECUYPERE E., 1999 – Performance and physiological variables in broiler chicken lines differing in susceptibility to the ascites syndrome: 1. Changes in blood gases as a function of ambient temperature. British Poultry Science 40, 135-139.
- IMAEDA N., 2000 – Influence of the stocking density and rearing season on incidence of sudden death syndrome in broiler chickens. Poultry Science 79, 201-204.
- JONES R.B., 1996 – Fear and adaptability in poultry: insights, implications and imperatives. World’s Poultry Science Journal 52, 131-174.
- JULIAN J., MIRSALIMI S.M., 1992 - Blood oxygen concentration of fast-growing and slowgrowing broiler chickens, and chickens with ascites from right ventricular failure. Avian Disease 36, 730-732.
- KLECKER D., HAVLIČEK L., ZEMAN L., 2002 – Heat stress in laying hens. Roczniki Naukowe Zootechniki 16 (Suppl), 127-130
- KONTECKA H., KSIĄŻKIEWICZ J.M., NOGOWSKI L., 1999 – Effects of different stressors on laying rate and selected blood indices in reproductive ducks. Journal of Animal and Feed Science 8, 63-72.
- KRANEN R.W., VEERKAMP C.H., LAMBOOY E., VAN KUPPEVELT T.H., VEERKAMP J.H.,1998 – The effect of thermal preslaughter stress on the susceptibility of broiler chickens differing with respect to growth rate, age at slaughter, blood parameters, and ascites mortality, to hemorrhages in muscles. Poultry Science 77, 737-744.
- ŁUKASIEWICZ M., MICHALCZUK M., 2009 – The selected parameters of laboratory testing of blood of ayam cemani hens and cocks. Proceedings of the 21st Intern Poult Symp PB WPSA “Science for poultry practice – poultry practice for science”. 7-9 September, Wrocław/Szklarska Poręba, Poland, 92.
- MAXWELL M.H., 1987 - The avian eosinophil – a review. World’s Poultry Science Journal 43,190-207.
- MAXWELL M.H., 1993 – Avian blood leucocyte responses to stress. World’s Poultry Science Journal 49, 34-43.
- MAXWELL M.H., ROBERTSON G.W., 1995 – The avian basophilic leukocyte: a review. World’s Poultry Science Journal 51, 307-325.
- MAXWELL M.H., SPENCE S., ROBERTSON G.W., MITCHELL M.A., 1990 – Haematological and morphological responses of broiler chicks to hypoxia. Avian Pathology 19, 23-40.
- MCFARLANE J.M., CURTIS S.E., 1989 – Multiple concurrent stressors in chicks. 3. Effects on plasma corticosterone and the heterophil to limphocyte ratio. Poultry Science 68, 522-527.
- MOURA M.A., MACHADO C.H., PORFÍRIO L.C., FREIRE R.B., 2004 – Effects of ochratoxin a on broiler leukocytes. Revista Brasileira de Cięncia Avícola 6, 187-190.
- NOWACZEWSKI S., KONTECKA H., PRUSZYŃSKA-OSZMAŁEK E., 2006 – Effect of feed supplementation with vitamin C on haematological indices, corticosterone concentration in blond and duration of tonic immobility in pheasant. Annals of Animal Science 6, 117-128.
- NOWACZEWSKI S., ROSIŃSKI A., MARKIEWICZ M., KONTECKA H., 2011 – Performance, foot-pad dermatitis and haemoglobin saturation in broiler chickens kept on different types of litter.Archiv für Geflügelkunde 75, 132-139.
- OLKOWSKI A.A., KORVER D., RATHGEBER B., CLASSEN H.L., 1999 – Cardiac index, oxygen delivery, and tissue oxygen extraction in slow and fast growing chickens, and in chickens with hart failure and ascites: a comparative study. Avian Pathology 28, 137 – 146.
- PAKDEL A., VAN ARENDONK J.A.M., VEREIJKEN A.L.J., BOVENHUIS H., 2002 – Direct and maternal genetic effects for ascites-related traits in broilers. Poultry Science 81, 1273-1279.
- PAKDEL A., VAN ARENDONK J.A.M., VEREIJKEN A.L.J., BOVENHUIS H., 2005 – Genetic parameters of ascites-related traits in broilers: effect of cold and normal temperature conditions.British Poultry Science 46, 35-42.
- PAMPORI Z.A., SALEEM I., 2007 – Haematology, serum chemistry and electrocardiographic evaluation in native chicken of kashmir. International Journal of Poultry Sciences 6, 578-582.
- PATODKAR V.R., SOMKUWAR A.P., RAHANE S.D., SHEJAL M.A., BELHEKAR D.R., 2008 – Effect of sex on haematological parameters in Emu (Dromaius novahollandiae). Veterinary Word 1, 171-172.
- PEACOCK A.J., PICKETT C., MORRIS K., REEVES J.T., 1990 – Spontaneous hypoxaemia and right ventricular hypertrophy in fast growing broiler chickens reared at sea level. Comparative biochemistry and physiology. A, Comparative physiology 97, 537-541.
- PETERS S.O., GUNN H.H., IMUMORIN I.G., AGAVIEZOR B.O., IKEOBI C.O.N., 2011 –Haematological studies on frizzled and naked neck genotypes of Nigerian native chickens. Tropical Animal Health and Production 43, 631-638.
- ROUSH W.B., WIDEMAN R.F., JR 2000 – Evaluation of broiler growth velocity and acceleration In relation to pulmonary hypertension syndrome. Poultry Science 79,180-91.
- SHARMIN M.L., MYENUDDIN M., 2004 – Hematological values of the indigenous chicken. Bangladesh Journal of Veterinary Medicine 2: 163-164.
- SHLOSBERG A., BELLAICHE M., BERMAN E., PERK S., DEEB N., NEUMARK E., CAHANER A., 1998 – Relationship between broiler chicken haematocrit-selected parents and their progeny, with regard to haematocrit, mortality from ascites and bodyweight. Research in Veterinary Science 64,105-109.
- SIMARAKS S., CHINRASRI O., AENGWANICH W., 2004 – Hematological, electrolyte and serum biochemical values of the Thai indigenous chickens (Gallus domesticus) in northeastern, Thailand.Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology 26, 425-430.
- TYMCZYNA L., SABA L., BIS-WENCEL H., 1996 – Effect of high ammonia concentration in the air on hematological and physiological indices in slaughter chickens. In Polish, summary in English.Roczniki Naukowe Zootechniki 23, 263-270.
- WIDEMAN R.F., 2001 – Pathophysiology of heart/lung disorders: pulmonary hypertension syndrome in broiler chickens. World’s Poultry Science Journal 57, 289-307.
- WITKOWSKA D., SZAREK J., IWAŃCZUK-CZERNIK K., SOWIŃSKA J., MITUNIEWICZ T., WÓJCIK A., BABIŃSKA I., 2007 – Effect of litter disinfection on performance, level of haematological values and internal organs in broiler chickens. In Polish. Medycyna Weterynaryjna 63, 1115 – 1119.
- YAHAV S., 1999 – The effect of constant and diurnal cyclik temperatures on performance and blond system of young turkeys. Journal of Thermal Biology 24, 71-78.
- YAHAV S., HURWITZ S., 1996 – Induction of thermotolerance in male broiler chickens by temperature conditioning at an early age. Poultry Science 75, 402-406.
- YALÇIN S., ÖZKAN S., OKTAY G., ÇABUK M., ERBAYRAKTAR Z., BILGILI S.F., 2004 – Age-related effects of catching, crating, and transportation at different seasons on core body temperature and physiological blood parameters in broilers. Journal of Applied Poultry Research 13, 549-560.
Rekord w opracowaniu