Toxic effect of Zinc on growth and nutrient accumulation of cow pea (Vigna unguiculata L.)
Treść / Zawartość
Zinc is a heavy metal; this element is considered as environmental hazard.Toxicity effects of Zinc on growth and development of plants including inhibition of germination process decrease of growth and biomass of plant. The aim of this research is to study accumulation of Zinc along with nutrients and its effect on the growth of Cow pea plant (Vigna unguiculata.L). Thus, cow pea seedlings grown in petriplates lined with filter paper undergoing, different treatments of Zinc (control, 10, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 ppm). After one week seedlings were removed and morpho physiological parameters like root length, shoot length and dry weight of plants and accumulation of nutrients along with Zinc in roots and shoots were determined. The results indicated that the concentrations more than Zinc 50 mg/L zinc cause the reduction of morphophysiology parameters in the treatment plants rather than control plant and zinc addition in the cultures caused enhancement of zinc content in roots and shoots of cow pea seedlings. Similarly nutrient accumulation also affected by increasing concentrations of cow pea. It was also noted that accumulation of zinc in the roots was much higher than the shoots of the seedlings under treatment.
-  Akay A, 2011. Effect of zinc fertilizer applications on yield and element contents of some registered chickpeas varieties. African Journal of Biotechnology. 10: 13090-13096.
-  Ali S, Riaz KA, Mairaj G, Arif M, Fida M, Bibi S, 2008 Assessment of different crop nutrient management practices for yield improvement. Australian Journal of Crop Science, 2(3):150- 157.
-  Alloway BJ, 2002 Zinc-the vital micronutrient for healthy, high-value crops. International Zinc Association (IZA). University Extension.
-  Alloway BJ, 2008. Zinc in soils and crop nutrition. Second edition, published by IZA and IFA, Brussels, Belgium and Paris, France.
-  Bitell, J.E., D.E. Koeppe and R.J. Miller, 1974. Sorption of heavy metal cations by corn mitochondria and the effects on electron and energy transfer reactions. Physiol. Plantarum, 30: 226-230.
-  Black, C.A., 1965. In: Methods of Soil Analysis Part 2. Chemical and Microbiological Properties, American Society of Agronomy, Inc., Madison, Wisconsin, p. 242.
-  Cakmak I, 2008. Enrichment of cereal grains with zinc: Agronomic or genetic biofortification? Plant Soil, 302:1-17.
-  Chang WY, Lu BY, Yun JJ, Ping YL, Zheng Y, Xin XS, An LG, Wei S, Chun Z, 2007. Sufficiency and deficiency indices of soil available zinc for rice in the alluvial soil of the coastal yellow sea. Rice Science, 14(3):223-228.
-  Chatterjee, J. and Chatterjee, C. (2000). Phytoxicity of cobalt, chromium and copper in Cauliflower. Environ. Pollut., 109:69-74.
-  Dell B, Wilson, A.S., 1985. Effect of zinc supply on growth of three species of eucalyptus seedling and wheat. Plant Soil, 88:377-384.
-  Dua, A. and S.K. Sawhney, 1991. Effect of chromium on activities of hydrolytic enzymes in germinating pea seeds. Environ. Exp. Bot., 31: 133-139.
-  Efe L, Yarpuz E, 2011. The effect of zinc application methods on seed cotton yield, lint and seed quality of cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) in east Mediterranean region of Turkey. African Journal of Biotechnology. 10: 8782-8789.
-  Graham RD, Welch RM, Bouis HE, 2000. Addressing micronutrient nutrition through enhancing the nutritional quality of staple foods. Advances in Agronomy 70:77-161.
-  Jackson, M.L., 1958. Soil chemical analysis. Prentice Hall of India Private Limited, New Delhi, pp. 22-31
-  Lanoreaux, R.J.W.R. and S. Chaney, 1978. The effect of cadmium on net photosynthesis, transpiration and dark respiration of excised silver maple leaves. Plant Physiol., 43: 231-236.
-  Marschner H, Cakmak J, 1989. High light intensity enhances chlorosis and necrosis in leaves of zinc, potassium, and magnesium deficient bean (Phasseolus vulgaris) plants. Journal of Plant Physiology, 134:924-934.
-  Moniruzzaman M, Mozumder SN, Islam MR, 2008. Effects of Sulfur, Boron, Zinc and Molybdenum on Yield and Profitability of Broccoli (Brassica oleracea L. Var. italica). J Agric Rural Dev., 6 (1&2): 55-61.
-  Mousavi SR, 2011. Zinc in crop production and interaction with phosphorus. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 5: 1503-1509.
-  Mousavi SR, Galavi M, Ahmadvand G, 2007. Effect of zinc and manganese foliar application on yield, quality and enrichment on potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, 6:1256-1260.
-  Mousavi SR, Shahsavari M, Rezaei M, 2011. A general overview on manganese (Mn) importance for crops production. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences. 5: 1799-1803.
-  Piper, C., 1966. Soil and plant analysis. Asian Hans Publishers, Bombay, pp. 11-36.
-  Prasad K, Saradhi PP, Sharmila P, 1999. Concerted action of antioxidant enzymes and curtailed growth under zinc toxicity in Brassica juncea. Environmental and experimental Botany, 42:1- 10.
-  Ruano A, Poschenrieder CH, Barcelo I, 1988. Growth and biomass partitioning in zinc toxic bush beans. Journal of Plant Nutrient, 11:577-588.
-  Shanker, A.K., M. Djanaguiraman, R. Sudhagar, C.N. Chandrashekar and G. Pathmanabhan, 2004. Differential antioxidative response of ascorbate glutathione pathway enzymes and metabolites to chromium speciation stress in greengram (Vigna radiata (L.) R. Wilczek, cv. CO 4) roots. Plant Sci., 166: 1035-1043.
-  Teige M, Huchzermeyer B, Sehultz G, 1990. Inhibition of chloroplast ATPsenthease\ATPase is a primary effect of heavy metal toxicity in spinach plants. Biochemie und Physiologie der Pflanzen, 186:165-168.
-  Vijayarengan, P., 2012. Growth and biochemical variations in radish under zinc applications. Intern. J. Res. Plant Science, 2(3): 43-49.
-  Vijayarengan.P and G.Mahalakshmi,2013.Zinc Toxicity in Tomato Plants, World Applied Sciences Journal 24 (5): 649-653.
-  Vitosh ML, Warncke DD, Lucas RE, 1994. Zinc determine of crop and soil. Michigan State  Williams, C.H. and V. Twine, 1960. In: Peach, K. and M.V. Tracey (eds.), Modern Methods of Plant Analysis, Vol. 5, Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp. 3-5.
-  Xi-Wen Y, Xiao-Hong L, Xin-Chun T, William GJ, Yu-Xian C, 2011. Foliar zinc fertilization improves the zinc nutritional value of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.) grain. African Journal of Biotechnology.10: 14778-14785.
-  Yosefi K, Galavi M, Ramrodi M, Mousavi SR, 2011. Effect of bio-phosphate and chemical phosphorus fertilizer accompanied with micronutrient foliar application on growth, yield and yield components of maize (Single Cross 704). Australian Journal of Crop Science, 5(2):175-180.
-  Yoshida, S., D. Fordo, J. Cork and K. Gomez, 1972. Laboratory manual for physiological studies of rice, 3rd edn., The International Rice Research Institute, Philippines, pp. 11-23.