Polish adaptation and validation of the Anti-Fat Attitudes Scale ‒ AFAS
Treść / Zawartość
Background: Bias, stigma, and discrimination in relation to weight are frequently experienced by many obese people. The goal of the present study was to develop a Polish adaptation of the Anti-Fat Attitudes Scale (AFAS) proposed by Morrison and O’Connor. Materials/methods: The study was conducted on undergraduate students of the University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn. The original Canadian Scale Anti-Fat Attitudes Scale was translated into Polish, and its factor structure, reliability and construct validity were determined. Results: The exploratory factor analysis (Study 1) supported the development of the Polish version of the Anti-Fat Attitudes Scale with a one-dimensional structure modeled on the original version of the scale (factor loading ranged from .71 to .85). The confirmatory factor analysis (Study 2) validated the one-factor structure of the tool with high values of GFI and AGFI (above .95) and an acceptable value of RMSEA (RMSEA =.07). The results of the analysis revealed that satisfactory stability was maintained over a 4-week period. The validity criterion was confirmed based on correlations with the constructs that were theoretically linked to this phenomenon.
-  Imes C, Burke LE. Health and Community Systems, University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Pittsburgh, PA 15261. The Obesity Epidemic: The United States as a Cautionary Tale for the Rest of the World. Curr Epidemiol Rep. 2014;1(2):82-88. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40471-014-0012-6
-  Ciciurkaite G, Perry BL. Body weight, perceived weight stigma and mental health among women at the intersection of race/ethnicity and socioeconomic status: insights from the modified labelling approach. Sociol Health Illness. 2018;40(1):18-37. https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-9566.12619
-  Puhl RM, Andreyeva T, Brownell KD. Perceptions of weight discrimination: prevalence and comparison to race and gender discrimination in America. Int J Obesity. 2008;32:992-1000. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2008.22
-  Puhl RM, Heuer CA. The stigma of obesity: A review and update. Obesity. 2009;17:941-964. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2008.636
-  The problem of the excess weight and obesity in Poland amongst adults - epidemiological data - according to the report GUS. http://www.gis.gov.pl/ckfinder/userfiles/files/Nadwaga%20i%20oty%C5%82o%C5%9B%C4%87%20doro%C5%9Bli%20 dane.pdf [Accessed on 10 March, 2018].
-  Kulaga Z, Litwin M, Tkaczyk M, et al. The height-, weight-, and BMI-for-age of Polish schoolaged children and adolescents relative to international and local growth references. BMC Public Health. 2010;10:109-120. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-10-109
-  Baum CL, Ford WF. The wage effects of obesity: a longitudinal study. Health Econ. 2004;13:885-899. https://doi.org/10.1002/hec.881
-  Cawley J. The impact of obesity on wages. J Hum Resour. 2004;39:451-474. https://doi.org/10.2307/3559022
-  Obara-Gołębiowska M. Employment discrimination against obese women in obesity clinic's patients perspective, Rocz Panstw Zakl Hig. 2016;67(2):147-153.
-  Griffin AW. Women and weight-based employment discrimination. Cardozo J Law Gender. 2007;13: 631-656.
-  Obara-Gołębiowska M. Attempt to counteract stigmatization of obese persons. Effect of psychoeducation on the level of bias against obese persons, Nutr Obes Metab Surg. 2016;2(1): 21-23. https://doi.org/10.5114/noms.2016.62638
-  Carr D, Friedman MA, Jaffe K. Understanding the relationship between obesity and positive and negative affect. The role of psychosocial mechanisms. Body Image. 2007;4:241-260. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bodyim.2007.02.004
-  Dickerson SS, Gruenewald TL, Kemeny ME. When the social self is threatened. Shame, physiology, and health. J Pers. 2004;72:1191-1216. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.2004.00295.x
-  Muennig P. The body politic: The relationship between stigma and obesity-associated disease. BMC Public Health. 2008;8:128. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-8-128
-  Tomiyama AJ. Weight stigma is stressful. A review of evidence for the Cyclic Obesity/ Weight-Based Stigma model. Appetite. 2014;82:8-15. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.appet.2014.06.108
-  Tomiyama AJ, Epel ES, McClatchey TM et al. Associations of weight stigma with cortisol and oxidative stress independent of adiposity. Health Psychol. 2014;33:862-867. https://doi.org/10.1037/hea0000107
-  Schvey NA, Puhl RM, Brownell KD. The stress of stigma: Exploring the effect of weight stigma on cortisol reactivity. Psychosom Med. 2014;76:156-162. https://doi.org/10.1097/PSY.0000000000000031
-  Crandall CS. Prejudice against fat people: Ideology and self-interest. J Pers Soc Psychol. 1994;66: 882-894. https://doi.org/10.1037//0022-3518.104.22.1682
-  Morrison TG, O’Connor WE. Psychometric properties of a scale measuring negative attitudes toward overweight individuals. J Soc Psychol. 1999;139:436-445. https://doi.org/10.1080/00224549909598403
-  Lewis RJ, Cash TF, Jacobi L, Bubb-Lewis C. Prejudice toward fat people: The development and validation of the Anti-fat Attitudes Test. Obes Res. 1997;5:297-307. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1550-8528.1997.tb00555.x
-  Allison DB, Basile VC, Yuker HE. The measurement of attitudes toward and beliefs about obese persons. Int J Eat Disorder. 1991;10:599-607.
-  Bacon JG, Scheltema KE, Robinson BE. Fat Phobia Scale revisited: The short form. Int J Obesity. 2001;25:252-257. https://doi.org/10.1038/sj.ijo.0801537
-  Latner JD, O'Brien KS, Durso LE, Brinkman LA, MacDonald T. Weighing obesity stigma: The relative strength of different forms of bias. Int J Obesity 2008;32(7):1145-1152. https://doi.org/10.1038/ijo.2008.53
-  Pearl RL, Puhl RM. Measuring internalized weight attitudes across body weight categories: Validation of the Modified Weight Bias Internalization Scale. Body Image. 2014;11(1):89-92. https://doi.org/10.1037/t38571-000
-  Brzeziński J. Metodologia badań psychologicznych [Methodology of psychological research] Warszawa: PWN Wydawnictwo Naukowe; 2003. Polish.
-  Brzozowski P. Skala Dyrektywności Johna J. Raya: podręcznik [Directivity Scale of John J. Ray: manual]. Pracownia Testów Psychologicznych Polskiego Towarzystwa Psychologicznego; 1997. Polish.
-  Ray JJ. Directiveness and authoritarianism: A rejoinder to Duckitt. South Afr J Psychol. 1984;14(64). https://doi.org/10.1177/008124638401400208
-  Ray JJ, Lovejoy FH. An improved Directiveness scale. Aus J Psychol. 1988;40:299-302. https://doi.org/10.1080/00049538808260050
-  Fabrigar LR, Wegener DT, MacCallum RC, Strahan EJ. Evaluating the use of exploratory factor analysis in psychological research. Psychol Method. 1999;4:272-299. https://doi.org/10.1037/1082-989X.4.3.272
-  Morrison MA, Morrison TG. Development and validation of a scale measuring modern prejudice toward gay men and lesbian women. J Homosexual. 2003;43(2):15-37. https://doi.org/10.1300/J082v43n02_02
-  The Polish Prejudice Survey 2. http://cbu.psychologia.pl/uploads/f_winiewski/PPS2%20raporty/Postawy%20wobec%20os%C3%B3b%20homoseksualnych%20PG%20MM%20ST%20poprawiony.pdf (raport Polish Prejudice Survey) [Accessed on 10 June, 2017].
-  Morrison TG, McLeod LD, Morrison MA, Anderson D, O’Connor WE. Gender stereotyping, homonegativity and misconceptions about sexually coercive behavior among adolescents. Youth & Society. 1997;28:351-382. https://doi.org/10.1177/0044118X97028003004
-  Kline RB. Principles and Practice of Structural Equation Modeling. New York, London: The Guilford Press; 2011.
-  Sagan A. Model pomiarowy satysfakcji i lojalności [Measurement model of satisfaction and loyalty]. Statsoft Polska; 2003. www.statsoft.pl, [Accessed on 19 March, 2018].
-  Marsh HW, Hau KT, Wen Z. In search of golden rules: Comment on hypothesis testing approaches to setting cutoff values for fit indexes and dangers in overgeneralizing Hu & Bentler’s (1999) findings. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal. 2004;11:320-341. https://doi.org/10.1207/ s15328007sem1103_2
-  Hu L, Bentler PM. Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal. 1999;6:1-55. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705519909540118
-  Matsunaga M. How to factor-analyze your data right: Do’s, don’ts, and how-to’s. Int J Psychol Res. 2010;3:97-110. https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/48.4.485
-  Lutterman KG, Middelton R. Authoritarianism, anomia and prejudice. Social Forces. 1970;48:485-492. https://doi.org/10.1093/sf/48.4.485
-  Puhl RM, Brownell KD. Bias, discrimination, and obesity. Obes Res. 2001;9(12):788-805. https://doi.org/10.1038/oby.2001.108
-  Puhl RM, Brownell KD. Psychosocial origins of obesity stigma: toward changing a powerful and pervasive bias. Obes Rev. 2003;4:213-227. https://doi.org/10.1046/j.1467-789X.2003.00122.x
-  Rudolph CW, Wells CL, Weller MD, Baltes BB. A meta-analises of empirical studies of weight based bias in the workplace. J Vocat Behav 2009;74: 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvb.2008.09.008
-  Rebecca M. Puhl, Chelsea A. Heuer, MPH. Obesity Stigma: Important Considerations for Public Health. Am J Public Health. 2010;100(6):1019-1028. https://doi.org/10.2105/AJPH.2009.159491