Does the spinning exercise affect the ovarian reserve in reproductive-young women?
Background: The aim of this study is to evaluate whether spinning exercise may have an impact on ovarian reserve capacity in reproductive young women. Material and methods: 48 healthy women were included into this prospective cohort study and randomly categorized into control (n = 14) and experimental groups (n = 12). Spinning exercise sessions were conducted for 50 minutes three times a week for 8 weeks in the study group. The control group did not exercise. Immediately before and after the spinning program, each participant underwent the measurements of the body mass index, the waist circumference, the hip circumference as well as serum anti-müllerian hormone (AMH), estradiol (EM), follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) and luteinizing hormone (LH) levels. Results: There were significant differences in both of group in terms of antropemetric features (body weight, BMI, fat percent, waist circumference and hip circumference). There was only a significant difference of AMH in the experimental group. Conclusions: Spinning exercise would be an important cause of associated with a decreased serum AMH level in reproductive young women. Further research should expand the finding by questioning whether intensity or practicing is an important mechanism in reproductive young women.
- Hitit University, Faculty of Medicine, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Corum, Turkey
- Hitit University, Faculty of Sports Science, Corum, Turkey
- Hitit University, Faculty of Sports Science, Corum, Turkey
- Konya Education and Research Hospital, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Konya, Turkey
-  Tartagni M, Cicinelli MV, Baldini D, et al. Dehydroepiandrosterone decreases the age-related decline of the in vitro fertilization outcome in women younger than 40 years old. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 2015;9:13-18. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12958-015-0014-3
-  American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists Committee on Gynecologic Practice and Practice Committee. Female age-related fertility decline. Committee Opinion No. 589. Fertil Steril. 2014;101(3):633-4.
-  Hakimi O, Cameron LC. Effect of exercise on ovulation: A systematic review. Sport Med. 2017; 47(8):1555-1567. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-016-0669-8
-  Richter EA, Garetto LP, Goodman MN, et al. Muscle glucose metabolism following exercise in the rat: increased sensitivity to insulin. J Clin Invest. 1982;69:785-93. https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI110517
-  Laughlin MH, Oltman CL, Bowles DK. Exercise training-induced adaptations in the coronary circulation. Med Sci Sport Exerc. 1998;30:352-60. https://doi.org/10.1097/00005768-199803000-00004
-  Hasselstrøm H, Hansen SE, Froberg K, Andersen LB. Physical fitness and physical activity during adolescence as predictors of cardiovascular disease risk in young adulthood. Danish Youth and Sports Study. An eightyear follow-up study. Int J Sport Med. 2002;23(suppl 1):S27-S31. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-2002-28458
-  Sakuragi S, Abhayaratna K, Gravenmaker KJ, et al. Influence of adiposity and physical activity on arterial stiffness in healthy children: the lifestyle of our kids study. Hypertension. 2009;53:611-616. https://doi.org/10.1161/HYPERTENSIONAHA.108.123364
-  Speroff L, Glass RH, Kase GN. Speroff L, Glass RH, Kase GN. Amenorrhea. Clinical Gynecologic Endocrinology and Infertility. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams &Wilkins; 1999; 421-85.
-  Georgopoulos N, Markou K, Theodoropoulou A, et al. Growth and pubertal development in elite female rhythmic gymnasts. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999;84:4525-4530. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.84.12.6177
-  Georgopoulos NA, Markou KB, Theodoropoulou A, Benardot D, LegliseM, Vagenakis AG. Growth retardation in artistic compared with rhythmic elite female gymnasts. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2002;87:3169-3173. https://doi.org/10.1210/jcem.87.7.8640
-  Peluso C, Fonseca FL, Rodart IF, et al. An ovarian reserve biomarker in assisted reproduction. Clin Chim Acta. 2014;1(437):175-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2007.12.013
-  Broer SL, Mol BW, Hendriks D, Broekmans FJ. The role of antimullerian hormone in prediction of outcome after IVF: Comparison with the antral follicle count. Fertil Steril. 2009;91:705-14. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2007.12.013
-  Knauff EA, Eijkemans MJ, Lambalk CB, et al. Anti-Mullerian hormone, inhibin B, and antral follicle count in young women with ovarian failure. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:786-92. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2008-1818
-  Fanchin R, Schonäuer LM, Righini C, Frydman N, Frydman R, Taieb J. Serum anti-Müllerian hormone dynamics during controlled ovarian hyperstimulation. Hum Reprod. 2003;18:328-32. https://doi.org/10.1093/humrep/deg043
-  Weenen C, Laven JS, Von Bergh AR, et al. Anti-Mullerian hormone expression pattern in the human ovary: Potential implications for initial and cyclic follicle recruitment. Mol Hum Reprod. 2004;10:77-83. https://doi.org/10.1093/molehr/gah015
-  Hehenkamp WJ, Looman CW, Themmen AP, de Jong FH, Te Velde ER, Broekmans FJ. Anti-Mullerian hormone levels in the spontaneous menstrual cycle do not show substantial fuctuation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006;91:4057-63. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2006-0331
-  Kevenaar ME, Meerasahib MF, Kramer P, et al. Serum anti-mullerian hormone levels reflect the size of the primordial follicle pool in mice. Endocrinology. 2006;147:3228-34. https://doi.org/10.1210/en.2005-1588
-  Shaw CM, Stanczyk FZ, Egleston BL, et al. Serum antimullerian hormone in healthy premenopausal women. Fertil Steril. 2011;95:2718-21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2011.05.051
-  Li HW, Wong CY, Yeung WS, Ho PC, Ng EH. Serum anti-mullerian hormone level is not altered in women using hormonal contraceptives. Contraception. 2011;83:582-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.contraception.2010.09.007
-  Mad Dogg Athletics, Inc. The spinning journey: Phase I. In: Spinning instructor manual. Venice: Mad Dogg Athletics, Inc.; 2010, 1.02.
-  Johnny G. Phase 1: The spinning journey 1.01. In: Spinning instructor manual. Switzerland: Schwinn Fitness International; 2010.
-  Requa RK, DeAviila LN, Garrick JG. Injuries in recreational adult fitness activities. Am J Med Sport. 1993;21:461-467. https://doi.org/10.1177/036354659302100323
-  Jones BH, Cowan DN, Knapik JJ. Exercise, training and injuries. Sport Med. 1994;18:202-14. https://doi.org/10.2165/00007256-199418030-00005
-  Caria MA, Foster C,Porcari JP, Skemp-Arlt KM, Fater DCW, Backes R. The talk test as a measure of exertional ischemia. Am J Med Sport. 2004;6:52-57.
-  Jones GE. Some newer aspects of the management of infertility. J Am Med Assoc. 1949;141:1123-1129. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1949.02910160013004
-  Battista RA, Foster C, Andrew J, Wright G, Lucia A, Porcari JP. Physiologic responses during indoor cycling. J Strength Cond Res. 2008;22:1236-1241. https://doi.org/10.1519/JSC.0b013e318173dbc4
-  Sillanpää E, Häkkinen A, Punnonen K, Häkkinen K, Laaksonen DE. Effects of strength and endurance training on metabolic risk factors in healthy 40-65-year-old men. Scand J Med Sci Sport. 2009;19 (6):885-95. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0838.2008.00849.x
-  Pil-Byung C, Shin-Hwan Y, Il-Gyu K, et al. Effects of exercise program on appetite-regulating hormones, inflammatory mediators, lipid profiles, and body composition in healthy men. J Sport Med Phys Fitness. 2011;51(4):654-63.
-  Morencos E, Romero B, Peinado AB, et al. Effects of dietary restriction combined with different exercise programs or physical activity recommendations on blood lipids in overweight adults. Nutr Hosp. 2012;27(6):1916-27.
-  Cicek G, Imamoglu O, Gullu A, Celik O , Ozcan O, Gullu E, Yamaner F. The effect of exercises on left ventricular systolic and diastolic heart function in sedentary women: Step-aerobic vs core exercises. J Exerc Sci Fitness. 2017;15(2):70-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesf.2017.07.002
-  Moran LJ, Harrison CL, Hutchison SK, Stepto NK, Strauss BJ, Teede HJ. Exercise decreases antimüllerian hormone in anovulatory overweight women with polycystic ovary syndrome: A pilot study. Horm Metab Res. 2011;43:977-9. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0031-1291208
-  Dólleman M, Verschuren WM, Eijkemans MJ, et al. Reproductive and lifestyle determinants of antimüllerian hormone in a large population-based study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2013;98:2106-15. https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2012-3995
-  Leonhardt H, Hellström M, Gull B, et al. Serum anti-Müllerian hormone and ovarian morphology assessed by magnetic resonance imaging in response to acupuncture and exercise in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: secondary analyses of a randomized controlled trial. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2015;94:279-287. https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.12571
-  Redman LM, Elkind-Hirsch K, Ravussin E. Aerobic exercise in women with polycystic ovary syndrome improves ovarian morphology independent of changes in body composition. Fertil Steril. 2011;95:2696-9. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fertnstert.2011.01.137
-  Harrison CL, Lombard CB, Moran LJ, Teede HJ. Exercise therapy in polycystic ovary syndrome: A systematic review. Hum Reprod Update. 2011;17:171-83. https://doi.org/10.1093/humupd/dmq045
-  McLean M, Wellons MF. Optimizing natural fertility, the role of lifestyle modification. Obstet Gynecol Clin N Am. 2012;39:465-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ogc.2012.09.004
-  Moran LJ, Hutchison SK, Norman RJ, Teede HJ. Lifestyle changes in women with polycystic ovary syndrome. Cochrane Database Syst. 2011;Rev 7:CD007506. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD007506.pub3
-  Thomson RL, Buckley JD, Brinkworth GD. Exercise for the treatment and management of overweight women with polycystic ovary syndrome: A review of the literature. Obes Rev. 2011;12:202-10. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-789X.2010.00758.x
-  Zanier CL. Regulation of reproductive function in athletic women: An investigation of the roles of energy availability and body composition. Brit J Sport Med. 2006;40(6):489-90. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2004.016758
-  Fritz MA, Speroff L, editors. Amenorrhea. In: Clinical gynecologic endocrinology and infertility. Eigth ed., Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer Health, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011, 435-94.
-  Hameed S, Jayasena CN, Dhillo WS. Kisspeptin and fertility-review. J Endocrinol. 2011;208:97-105. https://doi.org/10.1677/JOE-10-0265