Evaluation of intra-testicular injections of calcium chloride and 4-vinylcyclohexene 1,2 monoepoxide for chemical sterilization in guinea pigs
Treść / Zawartość
This study was aimed at investigating the use of intra-testicular calcium chloride (CaCl₂) and 4-vinylcyclohexene 1,2-monoepoxide (VCM) injections as a side effect-free alternative method for the control of reproduction in guinea pigs. Fifty male guinea pigs were randomly assigned to five groups. In all groups, the chemical agents were injected into both testes in 1% lidocaine hydrochloride. While Groups I, II and III were administered with a single dose (0.25 mL) of sterile physiological saline, 15 mg/100 g CaCl₂, and 240 mg/kg VCM, respectively, Group IV and V received a daily dose of 15 mg/100 g CaCl₂, and 240 mg/kg VCM for 3 days, respectively. On day 90 post-administration, all animals were weighed and later decapitated under ether anaesthesia. Blood and tissue (testis, liver, hypophysis and adrenal gland) samples were taken. Sperm samples from the cauda epididymis were examined for spermatological parameters. Blood was used for hormone analyses and tissue samples were examined histopathologically (haematoxylin-eosin) and immunohistochemically (Tunel staining). The epididymal sperm count decreased in all treatment groups. Excluding 2 animals, Group V displayed azoospermia. When compared to the control group, Group V displayed the highest prolactin and lowest testosterone levels, and Group III showed the highest testosterone level. Histopathological examination revealed no intoxication finding. Chemical castration with VCM may be a good alternative to surgical castration as it enables mass sterilization without postoperative risks in guinea pig.
- Department of Reproduction and Artificial Insemination, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Harran University, 63100 Sanliurfa, Turkey
- Department of Pathology,Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Harran University, 63100 Sanliurfa, Turkey
- Department of Large Animal Diseases with Clinic, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, 02-787 Warsaw, Poland
- Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Harran University, 63100 Sanliurfa, Turkey
- Department of Biochemistry, Medicine, Faculty of Harran University, 63100 Sanliurfa, Turkey
- Bennetts LE, Aitken RJ (2005) Comparative study of oxidative DNA damage in mammalian spermatozoa. Mol Reprod Dev 71: 77-87.
- Bevan C, Stadler JC, Elliott GS, Frame SR, Baldwin JK, Leung HW, Moran E, Panepinto AS (1996) Subchronic toxicity of 4-vinylcyclohexene in rats and mice by inhalation exposure. Fundam Appl Toxicol 32: 1-10.
- Canpolat Y, Gür S, Günay C, Bulut S, Eröksüz H (2006) An evaluation of the outcome of bull castration by intra-testicular injection of ethanol and calcium chloride. Revue Med Vet 157: 420-425.
- Chhabra RS, Elwell MR, Peters A (1990) Toxicity of 4-vinyl-1-cyclohexene diepoxide after 13 weeks of dermal or oral exposure in rats and mice. Fundam Appl Toxicol 14: 745-751.
- Cohen PG (2008) Obesity in men: the hypogonadal-estrogen receptor relationship and its effect on glucose homeostasis. Med Hypotheses 70: 358-360.
- Fagundes AK, Oliveira EC, Tenorio BM, Melo CC, Nery LT, Santos FA, Alves LC, Douglas RH, Silva VA Jr (2014) Injection of a chemical castration agent, zinc gluconate, into the testes of cats results in the impairment of spermatogenesis: a potentially irreversible contraceptive approach for this species? Theriogenology 81: 230-236.
- Fujisawa M, Hiramine C, Tanaka H, Okada H, Arakawa S, Kamidono S (1999) Decrease in apoptosis of germ cells in the testes of infertile men with varicocele. World J Urol 17: 296-300.
- Guler G, Ozgur E, Keles H, Tomruk A, Vural SA, Seyhan N (2011) Apoptosis resulted from radiofrequency radiation exposure of pregnant rabbits and their infants. Bull Vet Inst Pulawy 55: 127-134.
- Hooser SB, DeMerell DG, Douds DA, Hoyer P, Sipes IG (1995) Testicular germ cell toxicity caused by vinylcyclohexene diepoxide in mice. Reprod Toxicol 9: 359-367.
- Ibrahim A, Ali MM, Abou-Khalil NS, Ali MF (2016) Evaluation of chemical castration with calcium chloride versus surgical castration in donkeys: testosterone as an endpoint marker. BMC Vet Res 8: 46.
- Jana K, Samanta PK, Ghosh D (2002) Dose-dependent response to an intratesticular injection of calcium chloride for induction of chemosterilization in adult albino rats. Vet Res Commun 26: 651-673.
- Jana K, Samanta PK (2006) Evaluation of single intratesticuar injection of calcium chloride for nonsurgical sterilization in adult albino rats. Contraception 73: 289-300.
- Jana K, Samanta PK (2011) Clinical evaluation of non-surgical sterilization of male cats with single intra-testicular injection of calcium chloride. BMC Vet Res 7: 39.
- Kutzler M, Wood A (2006) Non-surgical methods of contraception and sterilization. Theriogenology 66: 514-525.
- Leoci R, Aiudi G, Silvestre F, Lissner EA, Marino F, Lacalandra GM (2014) A dose-finding, long-term study on the use of calcium chloride in saline solution as a method of nonsurgical sterilization in dogs: evaluation of the most effective concentration with the lowest risk. Acta Vet Scand 56: 63.
- Mark-Kappeler CJ, Sen N, Lukefahr A, McKee L, Sipes IG, Konhilas J, Hoyer PB (2011) Inhibition of ovarian KIT phosphorylation by the ovotoxicant 4-vinylcyclohexene diepoxide in rats. Biol Reprod 85: 755-762.
- Mishra DP, Shaha C (2005) Estrogen-induced spermatogenic cell apoptosis occurs via the mitochondrial pathway: role of superoxide and nitric oxide. J Biol Chem 280: 6181-6196.
- Mohammed A, James FO (2013) Chemical castration by a single bilateral intra-testicular injection of chlorhexidine gluconate and cetrimide in bucks. Sokoto J Vet Sci 11: 62-65.
- Okwee-Acai J, Ojok L, Acon J (2008) Testicular morphologic and hormonal responses to an intratesticular injection of lactic acid for induction of chemosterilisation in adult mubende goats. African J Anim Biomed Sci 3: 5-11.
- Oliveira EC, Moura MR, de Sa MJ, Silva VA Jr, Kastelic JP, Douglas RH, Marques AP Jr (2012) Permanent contraception of dogs induced with intratesticular injection of a Zinc Gluconate-based solution. Theriogenology 77: 1056-1063.
- Riou S, Chastel O, Lacroix A, Hamer KC (2010) Stress and parental care: Prolactin responses to acute stress throughout the breeding cycle in a long-lived bird. Gen Comp Endocrinol 168: 8-13.
- Roosa KA, Mukai M, Place NJ (2015) 4-Vinylcyclohexene diepoxide reduces fertility in female Siberian hamsters when treated during their reproductively active and quiescent states. Reprod Toxicol 51: 40-46.
- Sahambi SK, Visser JA, Themmen AP, Mayer LP, Devine PJ (2008) Correlation of serum anti-Mullerian hormone with accelerated follicle loss following 4-vinylcyclohexene diepoxide-induced follicle loss in mice. Reprod Toxicol 26: 116-122.
- Smith BJ, Mattison DR, Sipes IG (1990) The role of epoxidation in 4-vinylcyclohexene-induced ovarian toxicity. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 105: 372-381.
- Tilbrook AJ, Clarke IJ (2001) Negative feedback regulation of the secretion and actions of gonadotropin-releasing hormone in males. Biol Reprod 64: 735-742.
- Varisli O, Uguz C, Agca C, Agca Y (2009) Various physical stress factors on rat sperm motility, integrity of acrosome and plasma membrane. J Androl 30: 75-86.
- Wibowo E, Wassersug RJ (2013) The effect of estrogen on the sexual interest of castrated males: Implications to prostate cancer patients on androgen-deprivation therapy. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 87: 224-238.
- Xu G, Zhang W, Bertram P, Zheng XF, McLeod H (2004) Pharmacogenomic profiling of the PI3K/PTEN-AKTmTOR pathway in common human tumors. Int J Oncol 24: 893-900.