Microbiological contamination of air inside and around stables during different seasons of the year
The aim of the study was to determine the level of air bacteria and fungi in the horse stable and the emission of microorganisms to the external environment during different seasons of the year. The predominating fungi in the stable and outside were also identified. These results demonstrate that both in the stables and outdoors, the number of microorganisms was the highest in the summer. This tendency was especially noticeable in the case of the concentrations of fungi outside the building, when the average value was significantly higher (P<0.01) than in other seasons. No statistically significant differences in the concentrations of airborne microorganisms at different distances from the stable were observed. Penicillium sp., Fusarium sp., and yeast predominated inside and outside the stable.
- 1. BAKUTIS B., MONSTVILIENE E„ JANUSKEVICIENE G. Analyses of airborne contamination with bacteria, endotoxins and dust in livestock barns and poultry houses. Acta Vet. Brno 73, 283, 2004.
- 2. KIM K.Y., KO H.J., KIM H.T., KIM C.N., KIM Y.S. Assessment of airborne bacteria and fungi in pig buildings in Korea. Biosystems Eng. 99, 565, 2008.
- 3. WÓJCIK A., CHORĄŻY Ł., MITUNIEWICZ T., WITKOWSKA D., IWAŃCZUK-CZERNIK K, SOWIŃSKA J. Microbial air contamination in poultry house in the summer and winter. Pol. J. Environ. Stud. 19, 1045, 2010.
- 4. DUTKIEWICZ J., POMORSKI Z.J.H., SITKOWSKA J., KRYSIŃSKA-TRACZYK E., SKÓRSKA C., PRAŻMO Z., CHOLEWA G., WOJTOWICZ H. Airborne microorganisms and endotoxin in animal houses. Grana 33, 85, 1994.
- 5. ART T., MCGORUM B.C., LEKEUX P. Environmental control of respiratory disease. International Veterinary Information Service, www.ivis.org, 2002.
- 6. NIEDŹWIEDŹ A., NICPOŃ J., RÓŻYCKI P. Pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of Recurrent Equine Airway Obstruction. Medycyna Wet. 62, 512, 2006 [in Polish].
- 7. ELFMAN L., RIIHIMÄKI M., PRINGLE J., WÅLINDER R. Influence of horse stable environment on human airways. J. Occup. Med. Toxicol. 4, 10, 2009.
- 8. NARDONI S., MANCIANTI F., SGORBINI M., TACCINI F., CORAZZA M. Identification and seasonal distribution of airborne fungi in three horse stables in Italy. Mycopathologia, 160, 29, 2005.
- 9. HOUBEN R. Ventilation and air hygiene parameters in horse stables. PhD Diss., Utrecht Univ., http://igitur-archive.library.uu.nl, 2008.
- 10. LITVINOV M.A. Microscopic soil fungi key. Science: Leningrad, 1967 [In Russian].
- 11. PIONTEK M. Mould fungi. University of Technology Press: Zielona Góra, 1999 [In Polish].