Is spermiogenesis common or rare in young male European bison aged 2 and 3 years?
Treść / Zawartość
The aim of the present study was to determine how often spermiogenesis occurs in young male European bison up to 3 years old. Research was performed on sections of the testes and epididymes collected from 51 male bison aged 2-3 years. The animals were divided into 2 age groups: young males up to 2 years and young males up to 3 years old, with further separation into specimens with or without spermiogenesis. The animals were culled during the autumn-winter seasons in 1994-2008 (after rutting period) in the Bialowieża Primeval Forest. Spermiogenesis in the 2-year-old animals was a rare condition found in 16.7% of cases. However, at the age of 3 years more than half of the individuals examined (53.3%) had spermiogenesis. Young males up to 2 years old with spermiogenesis were characterized by a significantly higher body weight and their right testis also weighed more than the left testis of the animals without spermiogenesis, the difference being on the border of statistical significance. There was no significant differences in the body mass and weight of the left testis between older animals, up to 3 years old, with or without spermiogenesis. However, young males up to 3 years old with spermiogenesis were characterized by a significantly higher weight of the right testis than those without spermiogenesis.
- Bomba G (1995) Pathomorphologic investigations of the testis of the European bison and domestic cattle hybrids. PhD thesis, University of Agriculture and Technology in Olsztyn, pp 17-18..
- Chaplin RE, White RW (1972) The influence of age and season on the activity of the testes and epididymes of the fallow deer Dama dama. J Reprod Fertil 30: 361-369.
- Chapman DI, Chapman NG (1970) Preliminary observations on the reproductive cycle of male fallow deer (Dama dama L.). J Reprod Fertil 21: 1-8.
- Czykier E, Sawicki B, Krasińska M (1999) Postnatal development of the European bison spermatogenesis. Acta Theriol 44: 77-90.
- Czykier E, Krasińska M. (2004) Cases of spermiogenesis in young European bison. Acta Theriol 49: 543 -554.
- Czykier E (2008) Serum concentration of free testosterone (FT) in European bison with early spermiogenesis- a preliminary study. European Bison Conservation Newsletter 1: 65-71..
- Czykier E (2010) Comparison of concentration of 17β-estradiol (E2) and total testosterone (TT) in serum in young males of European bison with or without spermiogenesis. European Bison Conservation Newsletter 3: 17-24.
- Daleszczyk K, Czykier E (2010) Do European bison bulls in Białowieża Forest differ in their rutting behaviour depending on age? European Bison Conservation Newsletter 3: 5-16.
- Gill J (1999) Zarys fizjologii żubra. Wydawnictwo Severus, Warszawa, pp 42-60.
- Haigh JC, Cates WF, Glover GJ, Rawlings NC (1984) Relationships between seasonal changes in serum testosterone concentrations, scrotal circumference and sperm morphology of male wapiti (Cervus elaphus). J Reprod Fertil 70: 413-418.
- Helbig L, Woodbury MR, Haigh JC, Collins J, Barth AD (2007) The seasonal fertility of North American bison (Bison bison) bulls. Anim Reprod Sci 97: 265-277.
- Jaczewski Z (1958) Reproduction of the European bison, Bison bonasus (L.) in reserves. Acta Theriol 1: 333-376.
- Krasińska M, Giżejewski Z, Czykier E, Krasiński ZA, Matuszewska M (2009) Changes of weight and size of European bison testes during postnatal development. Acta Theriol 54: 111-126.
- Krasińska M, Krasiński ZA (2007) European bison. The Nature Monograph. Mammal Research Institute Polish Academy of Sciences, Białowieża 1-317.
- Krasiński Z, Raczyński J (1967) The reproduction biology of European bison living in reserves and in freedom. Acta Theriol 12: 407-444.
- Krasiński ZA, Caboń-Raczyńska K, Krasińska M (1982) Immobilizing and marking of the European bison. Acta Theriol 27: 181-190.
- Matuszewska M, Sysa P (2001) Epididymal defects in European bison. Folia Morphol 60 (Suppl): 145.
- Matuszewska M, Sysa P (2002) Epididymal cysts in European bison. J Wildl Dis 38: 637- 640.
- Mohr E (1952) Der Wisent. Die Neue Brehm-Bcherei 74: 1-74.
- Webster JR, Suttie JM, Veenvliet BA, Corson ID, Labes RE (1992) Changes in live weight and the reproductive tract of farmed red deer stags from 6 to 27 months of age. In: Brown RD (ed) The biology of deer, Springer-Verlag, New York, pp 339-342.
- Węgrzyn M, Serwatka S (1984) Teeth eruption in the European bison. Acta Theriol 29: 111-121.
- Zablocki MA (1949) Neobkhodimost izuchenya osobennosti zubra i ego vosstanovlene v SSSR. Nauchno-Metodicheskie Zapiski 13: 128-1146.